1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would You Spend the Extra Money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 23, 2006.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

OK, it's Sunday, and a lot of you aren't mowing today. There is something I've been wondering about, and thought I'd ask the question. If mowers were available with custom options, would you spend the money to have one exactly the way you want it?

What I'm thinking of here is things like custom paint colors, alloy wheels, or perhaps custom color and material seats. First thing most of you will say, I suspect, is NO, but stop and think about it for a minute. Look at all the money people spend customizing their pickup, or an over-the-road tractor. Wouldn't it be cool to have a mower in Mossy Oak camouflage, or painted to match your pickup and trailer?

For large operators with multiple crews, what about mowers in their company colors and nice, shiny wheels to draw attention to your equipment.

I just wondered why you can customize what often is a utility vehicle, your work truck, to your hearts content, but with utility equipment, like mowers and tractors, colors are manufacturer specific?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When you said customizations, I thought you meant something useful such as a set of shears attached to the Wb so when a branch gets in your face, you got the shears right there to snip it off or maybe run-flat tires, things like that.

As for frills, please don't waste my time with firly fanz and fiddle farts.
    Yes, I would pay for useful custom options, but no I would never pay for nonsense thou I'm sure more than a few would and then if you made it just the right kewlness, I might probably would buy it too but you don't know my idea of kewl lol
  3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Customise a tool I spend large amounts of time using? If it improves its comfort or usability then yes , you betcha! Makes it Unique? Only a maybe.
  4. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

Where have you been ? LOL John Deere tried this in 1969 and 1970
    with a line they called Patio mowers You could pick the color
    you wanted from Yellow, Orange, Blue, Red. The hood and seat color
    would be your choice,example red hood would have a reAll bodies and decks were white. These did not sell well the dealers would repaint them
    green. Very prized with collectors of John Deere today.See link
  5. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

:cool2: I think it would be nice if you never use the mower and put it up and have as a trophy, but let be realistic it would not make you no money. By you profile I take it that you don't mow all day for 12 hours a day. Have you ever seen what your mover looks like after all that mowing. It is a good idea, but not pratical.:cool2:
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mowers are expensive enough these days IMO...forget the frills.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

WHAT!, you would'nt pay extra for the chrome spinners?
  8. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

Im putin my order in now ,spinners( to attract the lady's) lift kit(for those muddy spots)A custom color of lawn green on one side, ad a custom color of i dont water cuz im cheap and lasy dead brown and dying lawn color on the other( this my camo to deter thief's cant steal what ya cant see, and you can hide from the customer).
  9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

All I buy is John Deere mowers.....to me, they do look cool as hell and ride fine. If your talkin mower accessories; Well yes. Headlight kits, striping kits, etc. I seen Toro came out with a Fan kit that installs on the ROPS to blow air on the operator. Thats kinda cool.....:usflag:
  10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Can I get one of those fart-can exhausts like they put on the civics?