Would you start again?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1st class grass, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 1st class grass

1st class grass LawnSite Member
    from wyoming

We are thinking on a move and im wondering if you would start a new mowing business in this day and age? Here in wyoming the economy didnt take the hit that alot of places did so business is still pretty good.I guess if you had to start all over would you? I have read some things that say tough times are when alot of sucesfull businesses are started. Any truth to this?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

my wife and i thought of moving to north charleston sc from maine but were gonna wait at least one more year because our truck will be paid off and wont have many payments. but from what i know the economys not that bad down their. but its not the best either.
  3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Just keep in mind you will have to start from scratch. I don't know how big your operation is now but you will have to start all over again. If you do go I would suggest studying the market very closely before you make a decision. Some areas of the country were hit very hard while others were barley touched by the down turn in the economy. To answer your question I would not want to start over again. I have lived and been active in my community since 1978 so I know alot of people and that helps my business.
  4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

In a heartbeat I would.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I am a born business owner it's the perfect fit for me. But I would of succeeded in any of a 100 industries. That said would I start over in landscaping Hell No id pick something with higher profit margins and with even bigger toys to drive. Don't get me wrong I love the trade and I will grow this to a million a year business but I know in other trades I could of and would been able to grow it significantly larger then that.
  6. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Absolutely not!

I would have gone to law school or something.

The "barrier to entry" into landscaping is about $500. Meaning, anyone with $125 for a lawnmower, $75 for a trimmer, and $300 for a trailer can own a "Landscaping Company". There are no licenses, no required insurances, nothing!

Compare that to a crane or a demolition company that must shell out $100,000 just for one piece of equipment in order to open up shop.

Which industry do you think will have less competition? With less competition, comes higher profit margins...
  7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Half right. As in landscaping starting out solo, buying used "smaller" dozer and or crane going after the smaller jobs.

Yup I would do it again. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Grassmaster9

Grassmaster9 LawnSite Member

Abolutely, 100% certain I'd do it again.
  10. 1st class grass

1st class grass LawnSite Member
    from wyoming

Thanks for the replies.