Would you switch brands because of your dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IA_James, Jun 10, 2007.

1. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If the dealer for your brand turns out to be a useless SOB instead of a source of support for parts and such, would you bail to something else? I had dealt with the Scag dealer here in town some, but not much. After having dealt with him a couple times now, I'm thinking that 65 miles to the next Scag dealer is nuts, and that the Everride mowers are looking pretty good. Especially being as how the Everride dealer is only another 1/2 mile down the road, and he actually does what he says he will, and is civil to the wife. Anybody else in this boat? Or had it happen in the past?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am in the process of changing brands and dealers. The main dealer I was dealing with is never right about anything nor can they fix anything. My neighbor here sells Toro and Kawasaki, so I am gonna start buying from them. Just wish we had a Walker dealer in town here...

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched from Hustler to Exmark because of the dealer situation. The Exmark dealer is 1 mile away and is always open for me.

Yeah, I'll stick with them.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i use toro and would not switch

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll do whatever I have to do to make a living...no one is gonna prevent me from doing it either.

6. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I bought my Hustler because I've known my dealer for many years........he only recently started selling mowers but his consistent good reputation is why I bought from him. Because of that, I'd buy just about whatever he decides to sell.

Dealer support is the most important thing to me; a bad dealer would cause me to go elsewhere faster than anything else.

7. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

i like to think that i buy support first and foremost.
    my first purchase was a D/C from across town and every time it needed repaired here i go 50 min. to and from.
    now i deal w/ a guy 15 to/from they take care of all their LCO'S has several demo's and chg's fair pricing.

8. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

not only will i switch brands but if my dealer is a SOB, i will drive extra miles to do business with someone i like verses someone i dont. Most dealer can get any part for any brand so make some friends with the new dealer and he can service the brand you own even when its not the one he sells.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If you moved would would switch baseball teams....you cut with a mower because you love everything about it.....if I moved to NY there is no way in hell I'd become a Yankees fan