Would you take his money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Guy comes out as I'm mowing a lawn on July 5th. Asks me how much I charge. I survey the lawn and quote a price for weekly service.

We start talking about the payment methods and he says "I'll just write you a check for all the mowings I'll need. Probably about 10 weeks. I just want you to mow it while its hot out. After it cools back down in early September, I'll start doing it myself. I just need your service while its really hot."

Just a few days ago, there was a thread about a guy who was having the "skip me" problem with a client and everyone told him to drop the client.

Knowing that this customer only wants service when we least like to do it and won't be there to help with spring and fall revenues, would you take his business???

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Yes if he is going to pay you up front and its near your other accounts do it. He may get lazy after a 10 week hiatus and keep you.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

He was willing to prepay, for the time period when many lawns are slowing down, in the heat. I would take it, if I had time.
    I have a customer who mows his own lawn every other time. He just called, wants me to mow. I told my wife that if he was a 30 dollar lawn, I'd tell him to get on the schedule or get lost. He isn't a 30 dollar lawn. I will mow him as soon as I get my scheduled lawns done for today. If I run out of time, I'll mow it tommorrow.
    Crawdad payup

4. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

All degree hit the nail right on the head.....
    They usually sign you on permanent when they see your work compare to theirs and enjoy the extra time they now have not having to worry about yard work.

5. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Do a great job and show him he cant possibly make it look as good as you can and he'll probably keep you.

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Do you want the work? DO you want the money? And this guy is right across from where you already are? I guess i dont really see the question here. So what he wants you to mow when it is hot. Are you that almighty high and snippity that you only take on full year weekly accounts. Perhaps only....... bah! I was getting worked up here so ill just stop. He is close and his money is as green as anyone elses. Who cares why, just when can ya start.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As everyone pointed out if you have an opening on your schedule I would take it on and do your best. Hopefully the gentlemen will just notice the quality and the convenience of having someone else do it and bamÂ…..you have a new account for the year.

Gravely_Man

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, I took it. I'm not in the habbit of turning down business unless they're just really cheap. About the only business I've turned down is one time cuts. If you quote them high enough (they're almost always knee high) you won't win the business. You're too far off the famous $25 mark.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about this...getting used only when it's 100 degrees outside.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't confront me at all, I'd just price it to where I made at least 60% of what I would get off of him for the whole year.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Your already cutting arnt you? Go for it. Who cares if it isnt helping with spring/fall revenue...We make enough then anyway. I have a landscaper who "has been overloaded with work" that was going to take over mowing when he gets caught up...Well from the sounds of his crew..they are beyond caught up...but i still have him..DO I CARE? He pays $30 for under 1k of turf

Trevor