Would you take the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here's the deal.

A local business contacts me and wants me to bid mowing, shrub maintenance and mulching.

I turn in the bid and wait....as usual :rolleyes:

Anyway, about a week later the manager calls me and says that the corporate office is giving him grief about the poor condition the lawn is in and asks me to give another bid for lawn renovation....seeding, aeration, fert program etc...

I say that I would be happy to do so and then I ask him about the mowing bid that I turned in. He says that he decided to let the guy from last season continue with the job since his bid was so close to our's.

I then ask why he doesn't just get him to do all of this then? He said he asked him but the guy is only interested in mowing and that is why he (the manager) wants me to do all the other stuff, but not the mowing.

I am curious....would you take the renovation job without the mowing? Or would you insist on a package deal or nothing?

Here is what I did:
    I politely told him that I wanted his busines but when it comes to making a lawn look better mowing has a lot to do with the process. I told him that for example, I can put all the seed down under the sun but if the "mower guy" comes over it the next day and throws my seed everywhere it will be a total loss. If I put a lot of effort into various treatments and then the "mower guy" cuts it too short and burns it up then it is a total loss. The list goes on. And, the end result will be him (the business manager) holding me resposible for the lawn not looking good.

He understood and respected my decision but stated that he would have to contact other LCOs and see if they would do it.

In this case I erred on the side of keeping my reputation good at the expense of the account (possibly).

What are your thoughts?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I think I would have done the same thing or - you can do it but no guarantees

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think you handled it perfectly and professionally.

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I think you came up with many valid reasons that the manager could not disagree on.

You never know, another lco may do the work and then the guy could kill the grass and they could call you back to do it all. Since the manger will now blame both guys doing it now lol.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

He may be looking for ways to get to know you and your company before committing to a more long-term arrangement. Could be a good opportunity.

On the other hand, could be a total waste of your time.

I am swamped. I would have probably turned it down. I don't like it when people turn me down for the big stuff but still want to use me for something small. I am busy enough I don't have to take the scraps.