Would you take the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastercare, Jun 8, 2004.

1. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I was off to a slow start in the spring, so I let someone talk me down in price for weekly lawn care (first mistake).

She's constantly bugging me about something. One time she wanted the beds edged in and thought it should be included as part of lawn cutting! I quickly informed her of how that one works.

She asks me for a quote on putting down 4 yards of mulch. Very little work. So, I put together my costs/profit, delivery charge, etc. and come up with a price of $200. She interupts me (for the 100th time) while I'm cutting to tell me that my price is too high. I said "no problem, then find someone cheaper." So, she tells me that I'm putting too much mulch down an that I could go thinner with only 3 yds. So, I adjust my price down to $160 becuase there's less work. She says okay lets do it. When I was writing up the estimate, I knew something wasn't right so, I asked if she wanted weeds pulled first. She says of course yes, that's part of the deal. I told her I'd glady pull weeds at my hourly rate. Then she tells me that she wants the old mulch removed and a weed barrier put down under the new mulch. I explained to her that I had 15 more lawns to cut that day and didn't have time to calculate her estimate, and that I'd get back with her.

Problem is that she thought $200 was too high to start with, and assumed that all this stuff was included. Now that I discover ahead of time (good thing I asked) she wants extra work done, she's looking at over $400 for some seriously time consuming work. She wants an exact price....It will take longer than expected and cost more than she'll pay. Should I tell her just to find someone else? Or, try to estimate my hrs and give her a flat price? Either way I lose..

I hate when people want extra work for free and want you committed to a price that didn't factor in the extra work!! She's been a real PITA!!

What would you do?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Just cut her lawn, forget about the mulch job. It seems you can't come up with a price you'll both like.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd dump her like a ton of bricks myself, But I think your right when you said " first mistake"

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Cut your losses now and get rid of her. Or...keep the job and learn a few more valuable lessons.

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

the job as if you are bidding it for your best, 'least' price conscious client.

At the end/bottom of the estimate, write:

"Best price; NOT negotiable. Additional work requested will be priced separately. Thank you for your consideration."

.......explain the "WORK" to be performed if she has questions, but DO NOT attempt to argue or justify your price after saying it's your best price.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

RUN FOREST RUN as fast as you can. leave and never come back.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'd get away as fast a I could. its just not worth the hassle of having to deal with somebody like that.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

She's costing you even more labor than either of you know by causing you to put so much thought and time into these estimates that she is just going to shoot down anyway. I'd say forget the mulch and just mow if it's still even worth it. Let her nag and haggle somebody else.

9. Hokie12

Hokie12 LawnSite Member

What do you use as an hourly rate labor based jobs? I want to know because Im having trouble finding a fair rate myself.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Weeding and edging should have been included in your mulch estimate! That was your second mistake.

What were you going to do... apply the mulch on top of the weeds????

From now on include these items in your estimate.