1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you take this yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 5, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Few months back I posted an article about a lady I got that had the"God of lawncare". She bragged on him the whole time about how great he was except one thing, he did not always show up and would disappear for long periods of time. I was affraid she was going to be a pita but I have had no more problems with her since her hubby told me to ignore her complaining. The other lco called the day she hired me and wanted to start doing her yard again but her husband refused to hire him back even though his work was great. I met him the following week doing the yard next door (who is my clients daughter). He does do good work and seemed to be an ok fellow. I noticed today when I rode by checking on my clients yard that her daughters yard was over knee high. I saw the other lco about a month ago doing it and chatted with him. I had a message today from my client the the daughter had not been able to get ahold of Mr. perfect in over 3 weeks and wanted me to do the yard. One of my strictest polices has always been not to take yards from other folks (a policy that Im seriously reconsidering). I have a feeling if I take this one it will be only short term till the other fellow shows back up as he has done this before and for some reason these folks really like him even though he is not dependable. Go figure. Would you take this one or let it pass, I have a feeling if the other guy shows up it might get ugly, he just struck me as one of those kind that could change real fast. Not scared a bit but hate to get in an argument on other folks property. BTW, does ANYONE need any dam rain!? I bogged my z down today and had to have it pulled out with a 4wd right before it came up another monsoon! I said the heck with it and came home and admired the stack of unpaid bill laying on the desk as I watch the rain fall.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I sure could use the rain, lol.
    If they asked me to do the yard then I would. Another LCO here in town where I am, well actually its 3 of us that are friends. We have a pact that we dont bid on the others lawns. BUT if the customer goes to them and ask for a bid then we have no problem with it because we feel the customer isnt pleased with our work. In the past 2 years we have had this pact, I havent had any of their customers call me and I havent lost any to them
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

Grass cutin fool, my area is so backstabbing that these scrubs will go up right behind you and tell your client they will beat your price, no matter what it is. Ive already lost a third of my yards to them. However, the decent lco will not do this, its the lowballers that are killing me. This guy did not strike me as being a scrub as he had a nice truck and equipment, just not dependable. I was told he had woman problems, every time he gets a new gf goes crazy. Thats what woman do to a decent man, leave em alone! :D
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'd leave the whole lot alone. It sounds like they only need you when the other guy goes missing, and no matter what will always take him back. Too much hassel for me.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

mtdman, Ive had the first yard for about 3 months. The husband told me he pays the $#$# bills and he was not taking the other lco back whether his wife liked him or not. At least I was dependable.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

Quality...sir--in the amount of time you have anguished this dilemma, I'll bet I could have mowed that lawn.

and for my asking price, I would have.

mow the lawn is what I say.

oh BTW--you got more rain coming. but pass it on or my season will be about done.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Danny, do you really have any choice? I mean you just said you have a stack of unpaid bills and normally would be posting about losing clients not possibly gaining a new one....heck as GEO said I would have already been over there and cut it!

The heck with the other LCO! If he cared and ran a good business he would have cut it like he agreed.

This reminds me of the blonde praying to winning the lottery week after week and never won then after praying again she finally heard the Lord say, hey you gotta do your part and actually buy a ticket! The Good Lord is handing you some help go get it!

I also don't understand your policy of not taking new clients that current clients refer to you. Heck, that is the BEST way to grow a LCO business. Now get off LS and go cut that girls lawn! :)
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

No question about it, man, take the account. If your work is as good as his and you show up when you're supposed to then you will probably won't have to worry about losing it when he decides to show up again. As far as the other guy goes, he will know why he lost the account. You can't just disappear for a few weeks and let your customer's lawns grow a foot high. He won't have a leg to stand on if he tries to get pissy with you about it and he probably knows it. JMO
  9. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Tell them you will take on the account if they agree to stay with you and that you don't want to have to do the yard only when this guy does not show up. You have a business to run and a scedule to maintain, etc.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

MM lawn, never said I did not take referals, just said I hated to take other lco biz. However, since the guy has done this before when Im mowing my clients yard tommorow will see if the daughter wants it done. My client said her daughter wanted my number but has not called me as of yet. Dont even know why mom called, her daughter should have been the one making the call in the first place. Ill see how it goes in the morning, I sorta want to feel the daughter out, and see what my gut instinct tells me about her.