would you teach him?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was at a party last night. there was a guy who is just starting out in this business. he was telling me he just landed his first 2 jobs. one was a leaf cleanup. he says he blew all the leaves into piles, then raked them onto a tarp, and loaded them into his f-150(no sides). he is less than halfway done with the job, and has made 11 trips to the dumpsite (a free one, but still very time consuming). he worked 2 half days on the job so far (8-9 hrs), and has at least another 10 hrs to go. all for $175. i remember when i used to do leaves this way. he thinks he's doing ok. i wanted to tell him how to do this job properly, but, it was against my better judgment.instead, i gave him a stack of my business cards. from his decription of the job, me and my bobcat could have had it ground up to like 3 barrels, cleaned up, and hauled in like 4 hrs. would you have told him?

2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

No way...not in a million years

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Being older and wiser (hopefully), I probably would have given him some time-saving hints.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

older, no doubt

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

And I would have "educated" him on pricing jobs like that one as well.

6. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I would want someone to give me advice to get a job done better and faster, so I would have told him better way to have done it. Theres plenty work to go around and its not like we have a big secret on how to do it.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

consultation fee=$50 an hour with beer, $65 an hour without

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

bobby, aren't you the one who is always yelling about not giving anything away for free or working too cheaply???? c'mon, i had more respect for you. only $15 bucks an hour to cover your beer intake? scrub...

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

problem is his equipment for the job.
    it took him so long becuase of his technique and equipment.
    the question is, would someone with the proper equipment have done the job for $175.00
    it's like charging more to cut a yard with a 21' just becuase that's all you have to do the job.

but yes i would tell him. this person now thinks that is a fair price and will give someone crap next time around when they quote a fair price

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

that;s the thing yardpro, he thinks he is charging the right price. when he comes to his senses, and realizes that he can't even pay his phonebill working like that, chances are he packs it in. that's one less thorn in my side