Would you tell them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

A customer called this spring and wanted prices to prune a tree and trim the shrubs. I gave her an estimate. Three weeks ago I show up to mow the lawn and the tree has been butchered by her brother in law. These wounds aren't going to heal. Eventually it will kill the tree.

However, with a chainsaw and three minutes, the wounds could be easily fixed.

I was too expensive. She didn't show any respect for the knowledge required to do the job. She viewed it strictly as flunky labor. She did it herself. Within several years, the tree will die if someone doesn't tell her what she's done wrong and how to correct it.

Would you tell her????

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:blob3: No I would not! She made the call-let her live with it.

3. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Is she going to pay?

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i would tell, being that the tree isn't the one that offended you....;) if her brother in law did it, maybe she really didn't have the money for your services. she'd didn't hire another guy, saying you were unable to do it. I would tell her and say if yyou want me to "clean this up"..... it will be just X amount of dollars.

5. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

Its one of thise job's you bid it high and hope you dont get it :) thats wut i would have done good luck

6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

This is a mowing client?

I 'd consider telling the tree for free....

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it really comes down to how much you care about the trees. I'm not joking, my grandfather really loved plants and trees, if it were him, he would probably fix the tree and say nothing, especially if it is as easily fixed as you mention.

On a more realisic view, how bad is the property going to look with a dead or dying tree in the middle of it. How much hassle is it going to be for you if she decides it is dying and does a half ass job of removing it. Leaving the stump for you to mow around.

8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious to how u could fix the tree with a chainsaw? and I would tell her.

9. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen some tree "experts" damage trees pretty badly. I thought they would die also...none ever did.

I would prolly say nothing...it might sound like sour grapes to her "dissing" the work done.

Mebbe just mention painting the wounds. She might not know that's necessary.

10. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Southern Fried,
    Don't tell her to dress the wound's! That is not proper maintence for tree's. The paint only traps moisture and hurts the tree. But to the point I wouldn't tell her. She needs to live with her decision.

Geoff