Would you tow this?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rkeguy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rkeguy

rkeguy LawnSite Member

I have scheduled to rent a mini excavator (Bobcat 325) this coming weekend to work on project at my own house and the more I think about this I am concerned about pulling it (or stopping it rather). I have a 92 F150 2WD Single Cab, I6 300 engine, 3.55 gears, 5 spd pulling 16' car trailer. I know the trailer will handle the Bobcat, but not sure if I am seriously exceeding the weight limit. The weight of the Bobcat is 6145 lbs.

The store I am renting from does offer delivery/pick up but not sure how costly that service is. From the rental store to my house is about 6 miles involving some hills but nothing to steep. I have not pulled anything this heavy with this truck.

What would you suggest?

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

You'll definitely be pushing it but I've done and seen worse in my earlier years. I'd make sure the brakes on the trailer and truck are working really well..The motor will handle it just fine. Make sure to position the mini to have the proper amount of tongue weight.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Slow towing, lots of stopping distance and pray nobody pulls out in front of you. You'll be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dz302

dz302 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't. Too much load for too little truck. You hurt somebody and you in deep.........Not worth the risk IMHO.......

5. rkeguy

rkeguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the fast replies. I forgot to mention in my OP that my brake controller box for the trailer brakes has not worked in years. Never worried about it since I am usually only pulling landscape trailer w/mowers. The car trailer does have brakes and a runaway pin but doesn't matter since brake controller in cab not working.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Amen to that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I would just get it delivered, that machine weighs 6145 lb. without the weight of the trailer which is more then likely another thousand pounds. thats too heavy for an f150 without trailer brakes.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It is only 6 miles, can't you just drive it home?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

don't risk a wreck. delivery is cheap in the grand scheme of things

10. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Even though you would probably make it.

The delivery cost from the dealer will be far less than the ticket if you were caught.