1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you trade lawn care for an inside job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yz250fpilot, Mar 15, 2004.

1. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

How many of you would give up lawn care for a $65k a year job? This job would include benefits, an air conditioned office, 40 hours per week, and weekends off.
  2. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Not me

I used to make 70,000/year as a cnc machinist gave it up to run my own business
  3. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

How about trading back.....you can sit at my desk for 78k and I will go cut lawns...after running my landscape bussines for 5 years I think I could make around 100k per year with lawn care/plowing . the killer is the benifit package. healthcare is very very tough to manage. I have a son with several birth defects and our healthcare bills after insurance are more than our morgage. so for now I stay at my desk and just keep cutting grass nights and weekends to make ends meet.
  4. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

The Benifit package is very important. As great as it is to be outside working at a different place every day, you have to be able to pay the bills. If you're self employed and are unable to work, how will the health insurance get paid? Let the employee's run the business? Tough call. I'll continue working my full-time job and do my lawns on my days off.
  5. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Consider letting a crew do your mowing (you might have to pay a "manager" type position a few more $$ per hour) while you work your regular job. This might or might now work. Just a thought.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

No thank you, at 35 years old I have never had a desk job.
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

No thanks. I is so nice to be outside, even in bad weather.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

outside beats the desk any day....work or school.
  9. BLC3

BLC3 LawnSite Member

A bad day out side is better than a good day behind a desk!!
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I would probly do it as long as the desk job envolved something of interest. Sure its nice working outside when its 75 and sunny but how about all those 100 degree days when you feel like your going to pass out after jusr 15 minutes of work?? Or those 30 degree days in the fall with a light drizzle? Id defintly consider a 65K a year position with benefits. I cant even amagine weekends off either to enjoy....not run around meeting with miserable clients.