Would You Use a Handheld or a Backpack to Blow This Drive ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

...You Have a RedMax 8000...The Most Powerful Backpack On the Planet Bar None....and a Stihl BG85...I'm Told by Lawncare "professionals" that this is the most "powerful" Handheld Available...

This is Light Grass From Edging & Trimming w/String Trimmer...Yes its Poor Edging but You Have to Lower Your Standards if You Want to Make a Buck in this Business...& Light Debris from Trees (Keys or Seeds and a Couple Leaves).

I Will Provide the Correct answer Later.

Argue Amongst Yourselves.

2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I can tell you this, theres no way my name would be on that edge!! It's done right or it's not done at all, and I mean that. I picked up a huge lot today, and I can tell you exactly what the customer said to me " could you please, if your schedule allows it, cut my lawn also, your work looks much better than my current landscaper" To answer your question, whatever gets the job done fastest, I'll know real quick.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Unless You are Doing All the Monkey Work Yourself There's No Way your Employees are Going to Be Perfect...Lighten Up and Make Some Bucks.

90% of Customers Notice Only that Their Property Looks Neat and that their Lawn Was Cut on the Scheduled Day...Once You Understand That Fact Mabe...Just Mabe you Can Find Fame and Fortune in the Green Industry.

4. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

Yeah it's $500 but who cares that's much less than one day's mowing sales. The saved time on every lawn you will cut for years is what's key.

Strap on the backpack which starts with one pull after first-start-of-day warmup and you wouldn't even have to walk up the drive, just aim the Redmax down the drive and it would blow the grass out of sight. With a handheld you are walking up and down each line of grass buildup and straining your arms.

With the Redmax walk 5 feet up each walkway with the blower straight forward and it's cleared. Handheld might take 2-3 minutes while Redmax would take about 15 seconds for both walks. Yeah 3 minutes isn't much but say you cut 20 lawns a day that's already an hour in lost time; Say 5 hours a week, 24 weeks a cutting season. Say it lasts 4-5 years. Is close to 1000 hours of tangibly lost time worth an extra few hundred bucks to you? I would hope so.

Come on Jack you gotta do a lot better than that for a challenge.
  5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not walking the length of the driveway, you must be blowing the clippings into the garage and onto the porch. Nice. That will certainly distract attention from the edges.

Why's the grass at the front-left corner of that walk look so hacked up?

I guess if my properties looked like that, I'd be in a hurry to get the hell outta Dodge too.
  6. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We all know what YOUR correct answer is, Fairyway: you used your backpack while standing next to your truck, simultaneously eating a sandwich and picking up 3 chicks.

The real answer is that you're a moron who goes on and on to trying to make a point that's not there to be made. Everyone knows the backpack has more power than the handheld, but no one here believes you're standing next to your truck at the street and cleanly blowing off both the drive and any walkways that run alongside the garage and possibly curve around the back of the property.

Exactly. Fairyway's an idiot.
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I only use BP blowers, time saved means I can get more yards done in a day.
  8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you do.....but not me. I take pride in my work, and at no time would something like this be acceptable.

If you edged my lawn like that, I would fire you on the spot.

If that shoddy work is an example of the way you perform your services, you have no room to critisize anyone on this forum. I think you should start pointing that finger at yourself, and worry more about how to raise your level of attention to detail and stop arguing if a handheld should be used or a backpack.

Give me a break. :dizzy:
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Both would work just fine :) If you have a zero turn you can drive up and back down the driveway with the blades on and you wouldnt even have to blow it.
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Love mine its the stihl 340 its alot faster than my bg85.