1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you use this software?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Precision Lawns, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to settle a debate. We're having my brother design our own lawn care software to do things like contracts, estimates, routing, billing...pretty much everything you'd need in this line of work. He's never worked in this industry and is coming solely from a technology perspective. He thinks it would be a great idea to have the software COMPLETELY online. As in, he wouldn't offer a desktop version. You'd have to download it and then be online any time you wanted to use it. His argument is that the world is becoming more technology driven and the lawncare industry needs to keep up. Our argument is that it should NOT be online and the lawn care industry does not NEED to keep up with technology. We don't think there's any need for it to be online and lots of LCOs won't want to have to be online any time they want to use their software.

Who is right? Are we fighting a needless battle? Do LCOs want to move to an all-online format? Or is my brother living in his own technology bubble?

I'm not asking if you already have software or if you would buy this kind. I'm just asking that IF you were in the market for software, would you want software that is 100% online?
  2. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

I WOULD NEVER USE SOFTWARE ONLY ONLINE. Depending on somone elses server when i want or need MY information......Not a good busness plan. Just use quickbooks and be done with it.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I agree.

quickbooks works well enough and never in a million years would I tie my access to program to the internet. Net goes down, your done.
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would like it. Less back ups.
  5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Not for me, I'm not ready yet.

The techy's are taking it that direction for sure, but...There have been times I wanted to work and couldn't get online...I've been pizzzed every time !.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would never want an online program. For one, if your internet connection is down so is your ability to use the program. Can't use with laptop, unless your cell phone has internet connection.

What would the advantages of using a software ONLY online? I see none at all.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The internet is a great thing, however it's limitations should be wisely focused on.

Internet security is an issue for me, too many people view the net as a benign vehicle for the passage of information....................and as well too many people are out there trying to take advantage of that attitude.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Less backups? Maybe, how long does it take to backup data? Also, who would be resposible for lost data? I see no advantages of online software, but maybe I am missing something.
  9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I think someone would find a way to access other companies' info, and have their customer list, services they provide and prices for each. I would not put all that info together on the internet.
  10. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

No way. I do not even have my business computer on-line because I'm scared to death of down loading something that can cause me to lose my info. My billing, scheduling and routing software is on a dedicated computer. I have lost files in the past due to a bug I picked up on-line crashing my hard drive.

Never again.