Would you walk away from an account over dog droppings?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kennymo81, Nov 12, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not gonna spend time picking up the crap. no need to. it's fertilizer for the lawn.

it's a big enough lawn I can avoid when walking through it to trim but its always on the tires of the mower.

I don't think a single client I have that has dogs picks up after them.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

3. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

If they pay, I cut.

4. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

That worked for me :laugh: now they have a pooper scooper service and if I get there a day early for any reason the wife would run out to clean up the back yard while I am doing the front yard

5. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I can manage it if it's just a small amount. But this is one of my biggest "pet" peeves. If I have to pretend I'm on a slalom course mowing around the piles, that's the end of it. I've gotten rid of at least two clients for this reason. It's the worst.

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

1. contract a $1 charge per pile hit
    2. refer a removal service
    3. give them 30 day notice, tell them the truth, you can not be tracking feces between properties.

It seems like those of us who know what is actually in dog feces, do not like it. (Blue pill vs red pill)

If you can deal with it, simply charge enough to be happy. If this means double the price of the cut so be it. Leave it up to the customer if they want to pay. You know how much removal companies charge?

7. LAWN ENFORCEMENT SERVICES

LAWN ENFORCEMENT SERVICES LawnSite Member

No way...$ is $, especially in this economy and the stiff competition nowdays. Just run over it, spread it around, if they mention something...It's like the other poster said, unavoidable.

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It's avoidable if you want it to be.

I won't work for pigs who don't clean up after their pets. You can have them.

9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

If you do low end mowing (under 250K homes) you going to run into more people too tight to pay for scooping and too lazy to do it themselves. Rich people are not often going to scoop their yards either but it's easier to charge extra for the service and just deal with it. But pay nothing and expect my crew to just mow and weedeat a mine field is not a service I offer.

The more upscale you guys are able to go the less of a problem lazy people unwilling to scoop or pay for it becomes. I only have one rental customer who is leasing my clients home who kept giving me the "my kids will scoop it" speech but they never did. The guys works for the UT football team and makes $320k but between he and his wife they have taken turns giving me the run around. I finally started billing him for it and it took four months to get paid.

I can't wait for their lease to expire. The water bill to keep the yard looking nice runs about $1500 a month and they have been torturing the lawn to death trying to keep the water bill as low as possible. I highly suspect they are living higher on the hog then they ever have before and are out of their element. I am looking forward to seeing a moving van in front of the house in a few months.

10. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Just lower the deck and let it fly!:drinkup: