1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you walk away from this account??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Mar 24, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

There's a group of 3 banks that I do for the summer work. One of these banks I plow for as well.

There's an owner and the owner's son, Dad is CEO, son is the president.

I do chemical apps for the owner's son at his house, and I plow the owner's house.

If you're around MN, you might have heard the owner and owner's son are in trouble for a botch development they were involved in.

Turns out they were doing things under the table and didn't really tell the whole truth about things to other banks who were in on the developement deal to the tune of about $35 million.

Now it comes out, that they are part of an investigation of a landscaper that was doing work on the side (people's houses) and charging it to other jobs.

There were execs for a large construction company here that have resigned over the whole ordeal. Turns out that the landscaper was doing work at their house and then charging a different jobsite.

Somehow, he was dodging taxes as well, which I can't figure out, because the large corporations would have had to pay him with a check. There would be a record of transaction.

Anyways, would you walk away from this mess, before you get caught up in the investigations, or would you just keep going, knowing that everything that you've done is legit??

For those that want to read the stories... here's a link or two....

This second one is quite long....

Here's a clip from the second article, where services that I performed are listed....

In an examination of Community National's operation in February, the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, which regulates banks, uncovered a number of "questionable" expenses. Among them: a $6,600 golf cart bought in Bonita Springs, Fla., where William and Connie Sandison own a $1.3 million condo; a $62,000 Mercedes GL450; and $1,500 worth of landscaping on Ross Sandison's home.

According to investigators, the purchases were personal expenses incurred by the Sandisons that were classified as business expenses and paid for by the bank. In a letter sent to the bank's board of directors May 2, the federal regulators cited evidence that William and Ross Sandison "have not always acted in the best interest of the bank."
  2. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

If I were in your situation, I would walk away from any further business with them. Ethics and morals do matter. If they are willing to have unethical dealings with others then how are you any different.
    Another thought..........many times in these situations businesses and individuals are left holding an unpaid bill. I have been there. You don't want to be. Move on. Life is too short to work for people that only care about screwing people over.
    Good luck,
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

All your work is documented and you can account for all your work done for the bank and the son? I am also assuming your dealing with the banks and son had nothing to do with what is being investigated.

I am guessing if you were to be investigated they would have already paid you a visit.

If that criteria are met I guess I would continue the relationship with this account.
  4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

If you are not involved in the scandal and getting paid on time, I'd keep up the good work.
  5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

I would not do anything, it's too late to bail. If you bail now, it will send a message that maybe you were part of the "Scam". Besides if your clean you are clean.
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Wow read the articles, people thought the South was known for the Good Ole' Boy network.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

as long as your business dealings were on the up and up, you should have nothing to worry about
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If you look hard enough you can find it just about anywhere. In one form or another.
  9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The only reason I see for being worried is that they look like they might be busy for the next couple of years and I don't know if they will keep remembering to pay the lawn guy.
  10. Atlantic Lawn

Country Club prison is where those kind end up. They come out after a few months and have something to talk about at cocktail parties.