Would you waste your time.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by longislandlawn, Jun 29, 2013.

1. longislandlawn

longislandlawn LawnSite Member

had a customer call today and say that they have a check that they will give me that won't clear until about wednesday. they told me this before we arrived at the job. the cost of the job 300. would you trust this person , told them we will come another day . would you even bother with these people

2. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

What was your first impression of the individual? I'd go with your gut.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I don't take post dated checks. I will reschedule to the dated day. 300 is a felony here in FL so I doubt they would risk that for a landscape job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I do it all the time. Usually that means they are honest.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed. I never have nor would I.
    easy-lift guy

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

It depends. Them giving you a heads up is indicating that they are being honest though does not guarantee they are honest.

I would say a combination of go with your gut and past history. Last Wednesday I mowed a lawn that I normally do on Thursday and she is always home. So I did not get paid because the old lady is doing her volunteer work on Wednesday. Now this week The 4th of July falls on Thursday so I will be mowing her lawn again on Wednesday. And again putting off getting paid. I trust her. And my past history with her does not give me any worries about getting paid for three mows the following week.

So have you done work for them before?

Is so any problems them?

I can see myself turning people down if materials are involved verses straight labor.

7. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

SO,let me get this straight. They give you a CHECK and say, it won't be good til Wednesday. You decide to go back on Wednesday to do the job because you want to make sure the check is good before you do the work. Who's to say the CHECK is ever going to be good. I have had customers write me bad checks before. I would take the check that day and hold it til Wednesday and do the work. After all, I have a signed work order from them agreeing to the amount of the job. That work order, the bad check and small claims is all I need to get my money, plus court cost. If your in business, sooner or later, you will take a bad check.