Would You Work for this Lady??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Duramax99, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Saturday I go on an appointment. I'm talking with the lady and everything is going good until she leans to me and says "I'm on a limited income." Like that is going to change the price. She wanted a Hort oil app done, some pruning and a tree moved. No chance of any lawn apps or mowing she loves her current lawn boy. Would you want to work for her?? Job will be about $2,000.00 if she signs. She might be a PITA. It's a roll of the dice.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

To answer your question, If she signs the contract for onetime work I would do it. 50% up front rest due upon completion.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I agre with sildoc.....nothing wrong with one timer's provided they pay. Donald trumps Ex wife Ivana is on a limited income too.....If guess we all are on limited incomes...we are limited by the amount we want to work...

When I was whoring for TruGreen I did many one time installs with no chance of ever getting the maintenance contract.....Look at it as unbudgeted income...

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

50% When the truck pulls up and the rest before it leaves. CASH.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

"Limited income" is the standard reply for most of the elderly. The elderly I work with are the most trustworthy as long as you are up front with them

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I tell customer $75.00 per yard for mulch. He says no way, price is too high. He asks for another option. I tell him $30.00 per yard and $45.00 per yard for labor and delivery, he likes this. I stopped trying to figure people out a long time ago.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yes.

Limited incomes checks come from investment banking firms and their trust funds as well.

8. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

You know what? From now on, that old "limited income" crap is going to go in one ear and out the other. Seems like every one I know is on it.

Funny thing is, these people seem to have it better than me. Nice homes and multiple new cars, but on either "fixed" or "limited" income.

I want on limited income to then.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So your going to get at least 1/2 with no hassle? I say 100% up front. But I wouldnt bother with it, she seems to be price fishing already.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey now most of these people have worked all there lives for what they have,and that's what they have and that's it, just social security lucky to get the house paid off.
    Just cuz they live in a nice house and have nice cars dosen't mean they havent fought tooth and nail for it,or had husbands who sacrificed thier lives in WW2
    for it to be possible for you to even have the freedsom to own your own businesses.

So have a little respect for thease older folks,they have had to work for what they have gotten alot harder than you ever will have to work and sacrifice...MY 2CENTs

AND furthermore $2000.00 sounds like a whole lotta money for "some"pruning -1 hort oil app- and a small tree removal(Ignore this if it is a big big tree removal)IMAO but hey.. like they say get every last penny you can"It's just good business".....