Would you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cuttingmaniac22, Jan 18, 2006.

1. cuttingmaniac22

cuttingmaniac22 LawnSite Member

I am mostly a residential mower but i was thinking of going after some commercial. But have never done that before. Now, this may seem like a dumb question but do you guys go after commercial lawns even when someone else is already mowing it. This place is really close and the person who does it doesn't do a very good job. It kills me to see it so was wondering should i go after it and if i do how should i ask or put it to the manager/person in charge of lawncare?
  2. mjean

mjean LawnSite Member

how do you think you get new accounts if you don't go after them of course go after it.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

go talk with the manager, but don't necessarily bash the other person, it could be a relative of the company
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Develop a promo package of sorts (equipment, insurance, references, ect.) and aproch the property manager and turn on the ol charm. :cool:
  5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

this has to be the dumbest question i have ever read posted by a "professional"! man have your woman hide all the knives in your house!
  6. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

sry to side track but.. last year i called the owner of this apartment complex by my house. the old lc that cut it.. the owner died and one of his employees took over. needless to say he sucked at running the service. so i called and she was very nice and i told her all about me, she asked how old i was and i told her 15( which i was at the time) and told her i had all the necessary equipment to do the job right. she said they would keep in contact. i was cuttin late this fall and the owner approached me and said i can have that complex and 3 others for next year if i want. i jumped on it. sry bout the story but i just thought this related to the topic. thanx
  7. Norm Al

that is an awesome story man of stihl,,,,,,,its cool to see a kid willing to earn his way through life!
  8. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Are you even insured?
  9. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Norm, your response is one of the dumbest responses I ever read. Give him a break. Not everyone is cool like you.

I say go after all the business you can get. Be careful not to step on toes. You have the right attitude as far as identifying last year that this commercial account wasn't being cut good. I landed a commercial account that same way last year. I noticed that it wasn't cut every week, it just looked bad. I went in early spring and asked if I could give them a quote on doing their lawn needs and the rest is history. Keep up the good work by identifying poor commercial LCO's and go after the accounts.

10. Norm Al

hey carothers this may be the second dumbest statement ever posted on a lawn forum:
    how exactly do you "go after all the business you can get",,,,,without "stepping on someones toes"? did you actually think this through or were you just trying to say something......?