1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Baseballer1100, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to remove these rocks and redo this area with mulch or another substance. Here are the pics and the questions
    Would you...
    A. Rent an mini Excavator such as a John Deer 35D for 195 dollars a day(8 Hours)
    B. Rent a skid steer Loader for 175 dollars a day (8 Hours)
    C. Tackle the Job by yourself(Shovels and Rakes)
    D. Hire another person for the job(Shovels and Rakes)

The Side:
    The Corner:
    Full Shot:
    More Rocks and Overgrowness:
  2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

All you need is a skid steer and a dump truck. 2 guys can do that in a day. Easy!
  3. Baseballer1100

Would I use the skid steer to get the rocks out?
  4. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It looks like you'll have to do it by hand around those pipes and such heading into the ground. If I were removing the entire area I would bring in the loader and get it done quick. If I was just doing the rocks, (from the pics it doesn't look like much) then I would knock it out by hand (shovels and wheelbarrows).
  5. MountainMan

MountainMan LawnSite Member

why do the rocks have to be removed you can just add mulch over them and clean up the beds and you will still get the drainage of the rocks with the looks of the mulch.
  6. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

rent a machine and charge them for the rental in the price if you feel you need it i just did it for one of my jobs worked out great hope it works out for you
  7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Do it by hand with a couple of laborers. You don't even need a wheelbarrow just a few flat shovels. You can back your truck right up to all the rocks. Looks like an easy job. By the way find someone to thin out that tree and make a few extra bucks.
  8. Baseballer1100

Sounds like thats what im going to do.
    I was thinking about that but i feel like ill always see those rocks and they will somehow always end up in the yard.

It sounds like im gonna go manual with this.

Are you talking about the tree on the corner?
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget to have all your utilities marked before you go at it.
  10. Baseballer1100

Good point. ill give them a shout tomorrow.