"Would your business be possible without a w/b?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Feb 11, 2007.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys i am thinking about purchasing a exmark w/b this year and was wondering how many people actually need them for their business to succeed or grow more beings you can go places you wouldnt be able to with a rider. Thanks alot for your opinion!

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

At first you by small because you are sure to need/ use it. Then you look at business and buy bigger if you need it to increase production. Many folks go to a 31/32 WB because of gates first.

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I've picked up a lot of work because I ise WBs the heavy ZTR allways leave ruts.And most people arent happy with that result.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I started out with a Bobcat W/B 48" and now I have a 48" Walker GHS unit. I can mow more places with that than I can a W/B unit.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm fixing to attempt to operate without one. when i had my first walker the only thing i used the w/b for was extremely steep hills and small gates. i've gotten rid of most of those now, so i'm willing to try it with a rider only.

6. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I haven't used a w/b in years. I used to have a yard that I needed one for but I used a 30" snapper for that.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Riders only is a good goal. We went all of last season without using the wb and are looking forward to doing it again. The riders are so much more productive in almost any situation.

8. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I like the not being as exhausted at the end of the day aswell!!!!:walking:

9. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both to. Started with a John Deere 48" hydro WB and I now own a Walker. I won't even lie, when we get rain for 2 weeks straight like we did this past season and my accounts got to wet to mow with a Walker (to heavy) I whipped out my deere and tackled every single one with out ruts and a all brown lawn from tire tracks. Point: a walkbehind is lighter and always a good tool for when the rain comes and you get screwed because you can't take that 1100lb rider near a lawn. Even though I'm retiring the Deere this year in favor of a 52" deck for my Walker. On that week when It rains cats and dogs... she'll go back into service.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats how i feel about my 36" w/b. i need new spindle bearings on both sides but it's paid for. i thought about selling it, but it's free and clear of debt.