Would Your Business Survive w/out Hispanic Immigrants ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jan 26, 2005.

?

How would you survive without Hispanic Labour ?

1. Would Not Affect Business

94 vote(s)
    74.6%
  2. Would Ruin Business Period

13 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Would be forced to Downsize

12 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Would maintain current levels but w/decreased profits

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Being from Canada we, unfortunately, do not have the flood of cheap labour over our border and are forced to rely more on legitimate methods of employment. We occasionally are able to hire "Newfies" or Eastern Canadians who come to the Big Cities looking for work, and while there are illegals, they are not in nearly the same type of numbers available to many of our American Green Industry Brethren.

Since quality, low wage Labourers are key to growth and profits in the Green Industry, please answer the Poll question honestly and without malice.

2. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

I've never had a hispanic work for me or even apply for a job with me. IF!!! they ever do they better be very legal. And that still is a big IF.

3. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I recently downsized to solo, i didnt hire them anyway so it wouldnt affect me.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So are there no big lawn business like TG in Canada? Who does manual labor in your country?? Does the lack of cheap labor make it easier to make a good living in lawn care in Canada?

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Fill out the I-9
    Social Security Number
    Good attitude
    On time every day
    Labor starts at $10
    Non CDL at $15
    Foremen at $16

Average 50-60 hours weekly in season...35 hours now.
    same wage scale to all that apply.

Welcome aboard to all that choose this line of work.

Hired 7 Anglos this year...1 remains
    Hired 7 latinos this year...6 remain

You tell me where the "cheap labour" comes into play?

Color blind is the best way to run your business. I want neat, clean, respectful of clients employees, that arrive everyday sober and with a good attitude.

We hire friends of existing employees and have great success.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That is the trend i see everywhere. I think the biggest threat to my business would be to rely on native labor sources.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm solo so I don't need any employees. If I were to hire someone, I wouldn't hesitate to hire a Hispanic if he was legal. I wouldn't even consider hiring any illegal immigrant...Hispanic, Russian, Arab or whoever, and anyone who knowingly hires illegals should have their business license yanked and their equipment impounded. Illegal immigration into this country is at an epidemic level and the morons in Washington don't have the Nads to put an end to it.

Legal immigration is what built this country, illegal immigration will be its demise.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

ed2hess,...The Best labour comes from Recent European Immigrants....Ukraine, Hungarian, Polish....Most get into Construction & they don't Work as Cheap as the Hispanics....People from depressed Rural areas of the country who Gravitate Towards Canada's Big Cities are also a Good Source of Cheap Labour...Urban Generational Canadians are Usually a Bad Choice for Manual Labour.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

For some reason, most of the hispanics around here work at McDonalds. Which leads me to stay away from McDonalds.

10. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

I don't understand how people can pay Hispanics less??
    They work harder, show up every day and usually don't smoke.
    If someone does a better job and is more dependable why would you pay them less?
    I'm a solo-op but would use the hardest working employee I could find!!