Wow, 07 Chevy, Not Impressed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 19, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Its a new body style 2500hd. its been a good truck so far although I really havent done a whole lot with it yet. Only 7k miles. It hauled a yard and a half of topsoil no problem, pulls 4k at barely any mpg loss. MPG isnt anything special to begin with at 13 av. I have noticed that there are a few minor body imperfections here and there. But anyway, I have heard people say that the sheetmetal they used is not very "Heavy Duty" because its thin. Well they werent kidding, I was hauling away a pile of old rotten wood and while unloading i tossed out a log and the back of it just tapped the top flat part of the bed and put a big dent in it. I couldnt believe how bad it dented realative to how hard it was hit. What a joke. This is actually acceptable toughness in an "HD" truck? HD does stand for heavy duty right? Or is it Highly Delicate? My question is, are all brands like this these days or is GM worse? just think this is pathetic!

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I get 13MPG towing over 10,000lbs? with the Cummins Diesel, and the air conditioner running on max/high. Seen lots of the Chevy & GMC 2500Hd diesels really muddy and worked hard here in Memphis they look like their in good shape holding up well. I have seen no dents the trucks look mean too. That sounds like it might of been one of those shots that I have done on my truck. Sometimes it does't take much to dent a truck, even a GMC 2500HD, My Dodge is sensitive like that in places, get to know a paintless dent repair shop:cry:

3. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

All the new trucks use cheap thin sheet metal. It is a quick way for them to save money and weight. They are not like the good oldies. The only thing you can do to them today to make them stronger is have the bed sprayed with a liner like Rhino Liner or something. Other than that don't even lean up against the side of the truck or it will buckle the side in. It is like that on Ford, Dodge, and Chevy.

4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

That hit it right on the head. In motor vehicle extracation training we are always cutting up old cars and the occasional new one thats been donated by insurance companies. I can remember one car particularly that was literally IMPOSSIBLE to tear the sheet metal on with the AMKUS Jaws. Any guess as to what it was??
    It was a mid eighties VOLVO station wagon!! Seriously, the steel was so thick that the jaws couldn't pinch the front fender between the wheel opening and the hood! New cars today we hardly have to do anything to. Most of the time we can pry people out with a long pry bar before we have to start breaking out the equipment. Just shows how times are changing...

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

how much should a dent like that cost?

6. nosparkplugs

It all depends on the location, and if the Tech can get leverage with their tools to push or smooth the dent out. I have a local guy I go to monthly for dents I am forever setting something on the bump & droping the tailgate on it last time it was a flashlight. The lest i have spend to have a dent removed was $65.00, and the most $165.00 and that was a dent from an air compressor quick release chuck, when someone stole a whole air compressor out of my truck the air hose hit next to the third brake light when they ran off with the compressor, forgetting about the air hose still connected that area is on of the toughest to get a dent out. My guy is good he got the dent out so the money is well worth it.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

it is near the stake pocket, wonder if that will help me.

8. nosparkplugs

I have my truck Rhino lined, and then diamond plate covering the tops of the bed rails & tailgate for that reason . Your dent might be one of those dents that cannot be fixed buy paintless dent repair methods. I would first see if you have someone locally specializing in paintless dent repair, take the truck to them. Those folks will know what your options are. Worst case just cover the rails with diamond plate, covering the dent also

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

A guy i know that used to run a repair shop in Western Kansas, gave it up to farm full time, but he saw a lot of oil field/farm and ranch trucks come in and out of his shop, and he said after what he's seen he's done buying 3/4 ton pickups, the next truck he buys for the farm is going to be a 1 ton. That the new 3/4 ton trucks are just city pickups, not built to be used like they used to be. I can tell a huge difference from my 96 to my 01 F250's. The 01 is a lot nicer truck, but just seems tinny, the doors don't seem as solid when you close them, i dunno.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use the same body. I would be fine with covering it up with those bed caps or extending the line x up over the sides but it creased in one spot and put little cracks in the paint. It will flake and rust, so it has to be fixed.