1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wow, 3 weeks until we start hanging lights.

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Aug 23, 2011.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I use the bows from HBL, they are rermarkably similar to the ones from several Christmas light wholesalers you'll find on the internet. they are UV coated, have a steel mesh inside to keep them from drooping, and 95% of the folks love the dark cherry red with the gold trim. They do fade after 4-5 seasons to a pinkish red, so we replace typically in year 5 or 6. I believe they have 18", 24", 36" and 48". those sizes fit all the wreaths we sell, pertty much 3 foot to 7 foot. I have also seen 60" on other sites, which would be more for a 8 foot to 10 foot wreath.
  2. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

how is the hbl direct mail campaigns?...I am trying to get that lined up...get it's time to start going full steam on the material...
  3. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Found a guy in my areathe is selling his landscape and irrigation business and also his lighting business talked to him Friday and have a meeting with him this week he has 46 lighting accounts. I've bought mowing accounts before but never lighting. Anyone ever done this? Bryan? Dave?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

There is a golf magazine trying to sell me a full page add in a golf magazine/service/tip thing ..500 for a full page..it looks like a nice mag..and it goes to the top private golf clubs in my area...and there is big big money in there...and it would run all year..I can do a half for lighting and half for landscaping...
  5. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

That seems extraordinarily cheap. I can not run an add with the Chambers of Commerce here for less than 2500 and I have to provide an insert. Last year was a total bust with each chamber, so needless to say I have set my sights elsewhere.

As for the Direct mail with HBL, I use it every year. I usually average $2500, and I have had very good luck. Like every other form of advertising it is percentage. Once I stopped pushing the light links last year, I went to a 100% close ratio. Again, as I have mentioned numerous times here, prior to 3 years ago, this service was really never offered here. There is a CD guy about an hour North of me, however, you can not find a damn thing about him on the net. So I am still dealing with the "you do what" situation. All in all I would say the HBL program is fantastic. I do know that Dave has a different system he uses.
  6. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

We hang our Halloween lights next week!!!! I have never been more ready for lighting than this year!!!! I just signed one of the nicest shopping centers in Louisville. Can't wait for that one!!!

We have already done our first mailing...

Just a matter of time - will be here before we know it!!!!
  7. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hanging our Halloween lights tomorrow!! Time to gear up!