WOW, all the others were $20

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, did an estimate, and decided to post this after reading bastalker's thread about lowballers and scrubs. i agree about the quality work and the customer relations playing a major role in client retention, but, you first need to get your foot in the door. when i handed him my quote of $30 per cut, as well as the other service fees, his face lit up like a christmas tree. he said, "wow, i've been getting quotes all week, every one i got was not more than $20, some were even cheaper." we got to talking, every guy he called would not do any fert program, just mow and go for a $20 bill. i sold him on the benefit of having one company do it all, rather than one guy for fert, one guy for mowing. also gave him copies of written referels, pest license, and proof of insurence. even got my mullet cut off last week. not much else i can do. bastalker is right about client retention, but in my case, i need to at least double my client base, and fast , in order to survive, price may hold me back a bit, but i aint budging.

2. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

That's awesome Bobby. Too bad you lost the mullet though.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good 4 u bobby stick to your guns and don't lower the price if u can
    i sent out my renewal notices last week and was just canned by a long time customer because someone low balled the whole block and they all signed up with this new guy. oh well

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO!!!! Well I bet since your alot better lookin now, you'll pick up all the customers..;)

Think it was yardman that said "well you'll get quotes for half the price. You may even get quotes for 1/4 of the price, but you'll get 1/2 the quality.."

Jus tell em you'll rip thier head off if they dont sign the dotted line bobby...:eek: :D

Seriously though, Like anything else, people will get what they pay for........

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the whole block! damn. sorry to hear that. i lost one last year after he asked me to lower my fee cus he was getting flyers with cheaper quotes on them. i said nope! saw him in the fall as i drove by, he was out there push mowing it himself. screw em.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm not holding a grudge or anything
    i am just a little pissed i made these toilettes nice and now the new guy just has to float he cant screw them up

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want customers that are only concerned with buying on price alone, I want customers who are buying on quality and consistency of service. I have clients that wouldn't drop me if someone offered the same service at half the price. My services are time tested, who knows what the new guy is going to do. The proof is in the pudding!

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I get lowballed on most all new bids. I was under bid by 98,000.00 and I was not the high bidder.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer I had busted my butt for makin his place look awsome was to pull something like that, I would be knockin on his door that day for an explanation....

If he told me cause these guys are cheaper. I would simply say "Do you think for one minute that these guys are going to treat your lawn the way I did for the price they are going to charge?" "Do you honestly think that your yard will look the way it does now at the end of this year"

"If you have any problems with them, give me a call." "Good Luck"

I try not to burn any bridges. 9 times out of 10, you can let this new company dig a hole for themselves, and pick the customer right back up. He will more than likely be a loyal customer after that.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've had that happen to me in the past. You spend an entire season getting a lawn looking perfect, then the customer dumps you for a lowball operator charging half your rates. Six months later when the lawn is ragged out again, the customer calls and asks you to start them up again. I tell those types of customers I'm not interested in cleaning up a mess created by another LCO. I tell them I want a 50% increase in price from the rate I charged before. If they don't accept, I hang up the phone.