1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wow.. did I overbid like a sonofagun?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bigjeeping, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

We do alot of mulch, and whenever re-mulching beds I offer to install edging (that black stuff with the rounded top) for $3/ft. That includes labor and material. If somebody really wanted it they'd pay. Usually they'd only need like 40 feet or so.. big deal an extra $120 ya know? Note: I don't have any trenching or bed edging equipment. We just trench out the area with shovels and install the edging by hand. That's why I charge so much!

Well one of my mowing clients called and wanted an estimate to take out all of her broken, torn up edging (same black stuff), and replace it. I headed over there with the measuring wheel. She needs 350ft of edging installed!
    I held my guns and left her an estimate of $1050.

What do you guys think?
  2. bigjeeping

Oh for any of you guys that install this stuff by hand.. any good tips? I still have not found a simple way to make this task enjoyable :dizzy:
  3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

take your blade edger, if you have one. Put on a new blade....set it as deep as possible and make a thin trench, same as you would for invisible fencing wire. Then, push edging down as far as it will go by hand and then take this tool that looks like a half moon on the edge of a stick (same one you use to tuck pine needles against concrete) and push it down.
  4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I charge roughly $2.50 a foot for edging. I just take a pick to it.
  5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Have fun with installing that much of edging. If they accept the bid, go and drop 50 bucks on a bededger for 4 hours and you will be alot happier
  6. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I've found that people expect some type of bulk discount when doing larger jobs. For example, maybe set a limit, say 200 ft for $3/ft, then $2.50/ft afterwards perhaps. Just letting the customer THINK they are getting a discount could be the determining factor. As long as you're making what you expect an hour, it should be alright. Just don't stoop too low.
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I JUST got a sidewinder super pivot ($4500 dollar edging monster), and I am charging 50 cents a foot for the first hundred, and 25 cents a foot for every hundred there after. I went down from the average of a dollar a foot on this site, because I plan to do this for all my customers, and plan to develop it as a biz doing others as well. The first yard I did, took me 4 minutes, 150 feet, and looked GREAT!!! I could not charge her 150 bucks, all my people are clustered and in the long run I am going to have a great business, making way more per hour than you can mowing (my current bread and butter). PS, not only did it look GREAT, but it was fun.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

OH, and that was just for cutting (opening) the bed, it would obviously be a lot more for installing edging.
  9. bigjeeping

Mind posting some pics of you and that beast in action? I especially want to see the after pics.
  10. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

We generally get a dollar per foot for just edging the beds.