1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WoW did I underbid!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Apr 16, 2002.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Being my first year, I as many other green horns am having trouble bidding. I did a bid and got the house with the guy nearly shutting me up with enjoyment. Hmmm wonder why......... Well I did a bid for mulch. He said he orderd it and it should be here in a day or two. The beds where allready edged by his wife so I said $200 to spread it. Thinking it would take me two - three hours. Well when I get there today there was 25 yards!!!!!! I wanted to kick myself and leave but I am new, and leason learned. I am down to about 8 more yards to spread out and will finish tomorrow.:cry:
  2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Live and Learn, next time ask the client how many yards they are getting or better yet, you take all the measurements and figure out your costs and give them the bid.

Look at it this way next time you bid a mulch job you will have a pretty good idea of how long it takes you to spread a yard.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

"I Bid Low Landscaping & Services" :D
  4. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I paid 20 bucks to thatch my first lawn in '86. took all day. a valuble lesson it was too.
  5. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

you should have asked how much mulch first, but that amount should take you 5 maybe 6 hrs by your self. even quicker if you get your wife or girlfriend to rake it around for you. you just haul haul haul mulch.

what tools are you using by the way.

you could always ask him for more money, how many times to you get an estimate for your truck to get worked on and it ends up being more, why this business be the same way. That is why its called an estimate.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW he got one heck of a deal. You learned a valuable lesson here.

Don`t you just hate it when they call and tell you they will have the mulch there and need you to spread it for them. They always freak out at the price of the labor to spread it. I had a customer call me the other day and tell me she was having 15 yards of mulch delivered and needed me to spread it for here. I told her that I would do it for 630.00 to spread mulch and do weeding of beds, and edging around trees, there is a lot of walking with the wheelbarrow and its all on a hill, and she flipped. I told her that was my price and to call me if she wanted me to do it for her. I never did get a call. I went by there and the yahoos that put it out for didn`t even get the weeds out, just put mulch in the beds on top of the weeds. Oh well you get what you pay for. From the loks of the job, she didn`t pay a lot either. And I will also inform her my rate for cutting is going up so she can get the same people to do her lawn and it will look just as good. I know she will want me to get the grass trimmed that is growing out of the mulch around the edges. And I hate that!!!
  7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

We have all had experiences like that one at one time or another, maybee this is why I don't even bother with flowerbed stuff unless they are willing to pay me BY THE HOUR. Chalk it up to Wisdom.
  8. kckid

kckid LawnSite Member

Damn, I had about 15 yards last year that I did myself with a ATV and trailer... That took a few days of backbreaking work.

25 yards???

Hey can you come do mine next? :D
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You sure did!
  10. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

My very first job was a HUGE cleanup. Took 4 days to do the job. And I gave her 3 mows for free on a 1acre lot. Put in new beds along the back deck, which ran the length of her house. Cleaned and mulched flower beds that she said had not been touched for 2yrs. Charged her like $680. Kicked myself in the *ss for a good week after that one.