Wow Do I Wish I Didnt Buy A Trac Vac

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

So you might remember my post about my Trac Vac 655 pro taking 22 days to come in after they told the dealer 7-10 days, and how I hoped the machine wasn't as slow as their delivery.

When it finally arrived at the distributer, the mower mounts werent there and they didnt want to send it out until all the parts arived.

So I get the machine, WRONG DECK BOOT! Now its well into October so I tell the dealer I'll modify the brackets and when the correct shoot comes in he can send it back. NOOOOO that wont work, Trac Vac wont refund the dealers money on a modified shoot that they screwed up. So I attach this thing with springs while I wait for the correct one.

2nd shoot comes in, not only do the mounts STILL not line up but when I wire tie the piece of junk onto the deck, the blades hit the bottom of the shoot. So now its damaged so I modify the thing so the blades dont hit while the dealer calls trac vac for a third shoot.

I am not to the worst part yet. I start using it with this modified shoot which which works fine now, and what an absolute JOKE. This thing has SAT on the jobsite while we work around it with blowers! My helper and I made so much fun of this thing. At least it softend the $2700 blow to get a laugh out of it. The machine itself may be fine but it has No where near the ability to handle the volume of a 61 inch cut which it was reccommended for. Trac vac says 60-72" for the 655 pro model. It might work in the 40 range if you go slow.

With the 61" Ferris you get up to about half of walking speed in Maple leaves and it sounds like someone stuffed a pillow into the vacuum motor.

Its big downfall is the discharge shoot. There is a massive 8" intake with the 6" discharge it cant handle the volume. Plus there are baffles to fill the garbage cans evenly which further slow the discharge rate.

At this point Im thinking, Oh well I need the larger 11 hp trailer vac version, its puzzling that they recommend this model for my machine but surely I can work out something to trade up this week old machine for a larger model without losing my shirt too much, because this just isnt going to work.

I tell the dealer this same thing who remember is still working on finding the correct shoot for the mower. so at this point Im starting to think the dealer is ready to just cut his losses in terms of me as a customer. So I call Trac-Vac today to see what they think.

HAHAa My check has already been cashed. They could care less. "Its a dealer issue" he says. As far as the performance he says "Well ya, you cant just mow, you gotta slow down" I had already gone over the 2 mile per hour pillow refference used above so I explained again, I cant go slow enough. The machine is overwhelmed by my mower. He says "yeah, I use mine in 3rd gear". Im not kidding he actualy said that.

I even told him I want to trade up for the larger 1080. I didnt say give me my money back. I would be paying to upgrade to something I can use. I asked if there would be any help or consideration for myself or the dealer on Trac Vacs part or am I at a dead end here.

"Well, its a dealer issue, call them" Thanks guys, great service!

Anyone want to buy a trac vac? Low hours.......

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

oh wow.....You think the trade up would not be that much of a Problem.....:S

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Not if I paid for it. I just dont want to get half of what i paid for the piece of junk I have now. Really? You dont mind when people sell you junk?

4. flatlander42

I'm on your side here.....you must have read my comment the wrong way.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

oh, ya I dont get it.

6. flatlander42

there I fixed it.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

OH I forgot. At one point this Trac Vac guy said, "uhh, I guess they work different on different mowers" LOL

8. flatlander42

But it must work with mowers with gears....LOL......Did the mower he used come from Hoeme Depot?

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a piece of crap to me

another guy on here had serious issues with another bagger company, PECO, and it makes me wonder what these companies have up their butts.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Interesting. Id like to find that thread. I was thinking of switching to peco. I have one on an old scag I took on trade. Its a much heavier duty unit.