WOW Gravely@home 17/40

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JMac24, Oct 4, 2004.

1. JMac24

JMac24 LawnSite Member
    from Pac NW

Well, I know why they let you demo these bad boys.

Took a 2 hour mow job with an Ariens 10/28 down to .6 of an hour. I know this because of the handy hour meter. :blob3:

Anyhoo. I dont need the hour meter or lights....but this has a newer upgraded trans over the 15/40.

Im looking at the 15/40 because 3K is hard enough to swallow! The dealer says the 15/40 will mow just as well and actually a little better because it has a newer Kohler in it.

GREAT site, helped me tons in choosing what I was looking for (didnt ask, used that fancy search button) I know, strange for a newb but I belong to enough boards that I know the same ol questions are always answered.

2. JMac24

JMac24 LawnSite Member
    from Pac NW

Well, now Im stuck. Cant decide between the two.

17/40 adds:
    Striper (I cant go straight anyway)
    2 more horsies (may help in the mulching?)
    Lights (no midnight mowing for me)
    Bumper (already whacked the fence so may be a plus)
    Newer trans

And I think thats it. Thoughts?

3. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

What's the difference in price? More power is always good. If you are only talking a few hundred more I would go for the 17/40. I would think the 17 would last you longer because it's not going to have to work as hard as the 15. The striper and lights are also nice options. You may never mow at night but you may find the lights will come in handy when you're trying to finish up some late evening projects outside.
    They seem to be very well made machines for homeowner models. I was seriously considering the 2352 model before I came across a better deal on a used Scag Turf Tiger. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

4. JMac24

JMac24 LawnSite Member
    from Pac NW

Price difference was $500, I went with the 1740. Main reason being I mulch. Figured why not go with more power. Just never imagined I would spend 3500 plus tax on a freaking lawn mower. Course, I never thought it would take me 36 min to mow 3/4 of an acre of grass either. :cool2:

Dont know if my time is worth it but Id like to think it is. Besides, we only live once right? Everyone else in the world thinks Im a nutjob, good thing this site is around!

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd like to only spend $3500 on a "lawn mower"..............LOL!
    That only buys half of a mower for us..........
    Enjoy your new machine..........

6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I think you made the right decision going with the 17. I'm agree with you on the time factor. My time is worth more and more the older I get. That's why I bought a 72" mower to mow my 2 acres. I went from taking 2 hours with my 48" down to 40 minutes with the Turf Tiger! Just wish I had done it sooner! :D

7. JMac24

JMac24 LawnSite Member
    from Pac NW

Yeah, the dealer has eXmark there too. Man those are sweet machines.
    The only way to go for commercial, I would imagine a hefty commercial mower pays itself of in a hurry!