1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wow!!! Im speechless.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KrayzKajun, Mar 5, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Hope yall are sitting down when u read this. Lol i priced a fairly large sod install last week. 10.5k sqft. I gave a price for centipede and a price for St. aug. now my price included some prep work, starter fert application and included cutting the sod to the shape around the existing landscape beds. I priced the centipede in mini rolls,(500sqft pallet), st. Aug in squares(450sqft pallet). I was in the $8k range for centipede and a lil over $9k for the st. Aug.

Now here comes the WOW part, customer called a few sod companies to get prices per pallet for centipede. They told him $135/pallet and heres the shocker $40/pallet to install it. Im speechless. $175/pallet installed!!! So their total is around $4k.

Customer called me to ask why such a big difference, well their price does not include any prep, fert or anything else. I told him they just pull up and throw the sod down as fast as possible. How the hell can we compete with this crap. This company just lost my business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Yea its pretty sad. They charge soo cheap its not even funny. A lot of big LCO's are starting to hire the sod suppliers to also lay out the sod for them. These guys are so quick at it but they do a horrible job and leave big joints everywhere and all they say is that "it will all grow together eventualy"
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

This is what i attempted to explain to the customer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Also since they do not prep or finish grade the area it ends up all lumpy. I would never hire them for any of my jobs. You get what you pay for.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact the homeowner and give him a price to prep it.

Just so you can say "I told you so" when he gets rolls of sod spread on his existing land.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Your price is right in line with what I would charge. I have no idea how the other company makes a dime at their price. My materials would cost $4,000.

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

People lay it cheap. Its a fast process. Prepping correctly is actually where the money is. Thats the part they don't do.

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Give them the choice...throw down fast or do it right

9. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

So is this outfit through the grower? How do you lay sod without prep? I can't say I've ever had a sod job where the grass would have lived without the prep. There's usually removal of old plant material.

10. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told the customer a bad sod install we be with you for life. Every single time they go out to mow and have to deal with the lumps they will be cursing these rapido sod installers.