Wow, looks good, but leaking water...

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by MowingisMaddness, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I need help fixing this water feature...

The facts:

1) Lower pool holds water to top of liner when water feature is off

2) Upper pool holds water to 3/4" below flagstone spillway stone when feature is off

3) Plumbing is not leaking

4) Face of wall is like a veneer with liner behind it, then a structural wall

5) Lower pool liner is a single piece going all the way up and over retaining wall stones that the flagstone spillway are sitting on

6) Losing about 1 gallon of water per minute. No signs of where water is going. Retaining wall is 8 feet tall, with 1" clean rock, so lots of holding capacity for water...

Waterfall1.JPG

Waterfall2.JPG

Waterfall3.JPG

WaterfallSideView.JPG

LookingNorth.JPG

2. MowingisMaddness

more pictures for you problem solvers

LowerSouthEnd.JPG

UpperPool1.JPG

UpperPool2.JPG

3. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

Just to start off.

leak.jpg

4. XStream Aquatics

the wall looks really wet. Does your liner going up the wall lay flat or do you have the edges rolled out.

5. MowingisMaddness

XStream Aquatics, Thank you for the quick response. I am going to start taking apart this water feature apart on Saturday, if I have to...

You are hitting on the two areas I also believe the leak maybe at. I am 90% sure the liners are overlapped correctly.

The liner going up the wall is weaved into the wall, so it lays flat in the center of the feature and rolls up at the edges... I am also 90% sure it is adequately far enough from the edge on the left side and the right side is 100% liner to the corner and down below the natural stones.

The wetness of the wall can vary greatly depending on the wind. I put plastic between the wall and water for a whole day to rule that out. However, there is liner behind that area.

6. MowingisMaddness

XStream Aquatics,

Could you explain the drip edge? I am not understanding it...

7. XStream Aquatics

See if this helps.

drip edge.jpg

8. XStream Aquatics

another thought. When you turn off the pump the water seeps down to 3/4" below spillway, right? But when you turn the pump on it has to rise 3/4" plus alittle more to go over the spillway so check the liner 1-2" above the spillway in the top basin.

9. MowingisMaddness

Ok, I understand now. But there is liner there to contain the water, even if the water rolls back under the rock. But, I guess it would be better if it didn't roll under...

What program are you using to produce those drawing in so quickly?

10. XStream Aquatics

just the paint program that comes with every computer. Basic stuff but have sketched with it for years.