Wow Lucky No One Died

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I Was Mowing Today And A Bolt Fell Off A Roller On The Deck Today And Shot Out Off The Blades And Hit A Windshield 50 Yards Away On A Bread Truck. No One Was In The Way Of It But It Hit The Windshield Like 6 Feet Off The Ground And Broke It. If That Bolt Were To Hit Someone They Would Have Died. I Am Going Out Now To Put Thread Lock On My Bolts Now So This Does Not Happen Again. I Would Tell Any Of You To Check To Make Sure They Are Tight Cause This Thing Flew Farrrrrrr. And Thank God No One Got Hit By It.
  2. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

That's a scary thing...

We've had a couple incidents similar but nothing that hectic. Mowers are definetly very dangerous machines to work with and to be around when the blades are running.

I've personally shot pinecones upwards of 40-50 ft so I can only imagine how far a bolt would fly, and the damage it could cause....

How much is the window going to cost you? And was the truck stationary or was the guy driving?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Watch out for baseballs, too.
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Would you be tried for murder if it killed someone?
  5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think its murder but ya loctite is your friend
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you are lucky. I have had close calls like that before. I feel a little better now that I mulch but things still can fly out from underneath the deck. I hate this time of year because of small children. For what ever reason they like to come up and watch you cut grass. I am always having to run them off. Sometimes you have to be a little harsh with them so they get the point of leaving. I always shut the blades off when someone gets too close.
  7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

no truck was parked. and no one in it. and no bread in it either or they would have to throw the bread out. insurance will pay for the window. but yes that was something a 6 inch bolt flying like that. and i put locktite on all the blots there now to. hope that never happens again
  8. hgaerations

hgaerations LawnSite Member

That is my #1 fear with mowing-where do you get the locktite and what exactly does it do?
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been a while since I have used Locktite but I have bought it at Auto Parts stores.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There are two kinds. One is for something you want to stay on, and one is for something you want to stay on forever and ever. Be sure to get the right one.