Wow! Met my competition today and he was...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swingset, Jul 25, 2007.

1. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

12 years old!!! ;)

I was mowing in my mother's neighborhood, which up till recently I hadn't been doing any accounts in. As I was finishing up the yard I was on I saw a guy trimming the lawn across the street, and then a Ferris IS3000 appears buzzing around the yard, with a YOUNG boy on it. Really caught my eye (mainly because the boy had a nicer Ferris than I was on!)....so I watched him for a few minutes. He handled it perfectly, had good technique and kept his pattern just right. He was even mindful of where his dad was, and paused as his dad moved by the ejection side which was nice to see.

When I was getting all loaded up, they finished too and the boy came buzzing over on the mower along side my truck to tell me he liked my mower and asked what model it was (it's a 1500). I told him his was nice too, asked him if he was helping his dad and he said "Dad's helping me on this yard, this is my summer job and dad does the trimming since I'm not tall enough". :laugh:

The dad sees us talking and comes over and says hi, we talk for a while and it turns out the dad lives in this neighborhood and used to run a full-time LCO (hence having all the equipment). Since he still had it all, his son begged him to start working with it so they do it part time for their friends.

He was telling me his son works super hard at it, learning all about the business and maintains the equipment like a pro, is reading landscape and green industry books and is already bugging his dad to drive him to other neighborhoods for "big money" as his dad says.

The dad said he's not willing to do that with his son being so young and so seasonal but he's letting his boy learn a real work ethic.

I know someone will probably see the wrong in this kid mowing like this, but I tell ya I was really impressed and pleased to see a kid so young doing it for himself and taking it seriously. I gave them my card, and the dad said he'd refer folks to us they couldn't handle.

Made my day meeting young Josh, he's got his head on straight!

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

most kids his age stay inside all summer playing video games and watching t.v., too bad you could'nt get him to work w/ ya

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats cool, but i wonder why his dad got out of the biz.

4. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

Swingset,
    Thanks for sharing this.
    My two eldest boys (12&14) are with me all the time.
    They receive daily instruction on how to operate equipment, use of proper safety equipment, how to deal with customers, job estimating, etc.
    I get comments all the time about what great workers they are and how the younger kids today don't want to work.
    They're taken money to the bank every week.

5. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

I think it is excellent that the young man is instilled with good work ethic. It is sometimes a major hurdle to get kids off their duffs and away from the video games. I have a nephew who has been a hard worker from the time he could pick up a tool. Good to see!

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to look forward to the summer time.I started with a paper route at 9 yrs old with my brother.We went into lawn cutting the next year and never looked back.Kids need to get out in the world and understand how it works.My kids have no video games and both enjoy being outside everyday working on our farm and doing yard work...

7. Pitbull05

Pitbull05 LawnSite Member

I think this is great story and wish more young kids had this type of work ethic.

In another business of course:) :)

8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud young Josh,:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Most kids only want to play video games and sit on there tails all summer

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I started much younger than him with much-much-much less nice stuff.

Good for him I say.
    Fathers need to teach their children some work ethic these days.

10. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't amazing that a nice story like Josh's is so strange nowadays.

I remember being 8 years old an working at a small neighborhood shop to make some money in the summer and all my friends doing the same at other types of jobs. All so we could get our own stuff (toys/clothes/shoes, fix the bike, whatever) with our own money.

It was so common back them and I believe I'm a better man now because of it.