1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WOW! now we have wild turkeys around here

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnMower, Dec 13, 2004.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Last month I was mowing a yard close to mine. I came around the back of the house and I almost mowed over 5 wild turkeys that were there. These birds aren't small. I never saw anything like it in my life. Not around my town anyway. Well ever sinse that day, I see the turkeys all the time. Now there coming up to my front yard. sometimes there's 6 of them, but in this picture there's only 5. One seems to be the dominant Turkey. They don't like donuts. They don't even like carrots. They did however love the corn I put out there. Now I feel I made some new best friends. They don't seem to be afraid of people. Im sure that some of you guys look at this picture and see supper, haha. Every time I see them I think im going crazy.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

We got loads of them around here. Even the dam deer walk around unafriaf of mowers. Do you know what it's like mowing around bushes and all of a sudden a huge deer walks out in front of you?
  3. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

We have the same problem here. I had a buck run a big circle around me at the end of the year and have seen deer right in town. We also have a problem with Canada geese, they can sure make a mess out of a backyard with all their manure.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're lucky there wasn't a Tom there. He would let you know why you shouldn't get near his hens.
  5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry.. in your photo, I count 6 turkeys... maybe one is something different?
  6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

These things are a pain in &^$ They should somehow be shipped back to Canada
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

You will soon wish that you had never fed them. Now there are six, in a month there will be 14, then 20 then 40 then 100 then 200 then 100000000. Neighbors will hate you! I have several accounts with these annoying little pests (turkeys). They fed them one year. Now they come back every winter. Last years damage came to a total of 6000 to replace some plants and they had to have a carpenter come out and replace some siding and misc stuff that the turkeys tore up. that is just one place. They crap every where and leave their darn feathers all over the place. You will soon hate them.
  8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Those had to be someones pets at one time cuz down here you cant get within 100 yards of them and they are gone.
  9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I havent mowed any out of the bushes lately but last spring I was ridin my bike and I was climbing a huge hill and right on the side of the road there were some low lying junipers that were no more than 18 inches tall and a buck jumped up out of them and scared me silly. Less than 4feet away.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Ours live in a bottle :p Kidding aside they probably just aren't smart enough to do anything else. We stopped on a mountain raod here in AZ one year and the turkeys and even some elk came straight up to the truck. I convinced that they know the difference between fishing poles and hunting gear.