1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wow ... one of those days ....:(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, May 8, 2006.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

It started off ok ... I woke up ... after that it was all down hill.

First thing I went to take delivery of my new mower ... wrong deck so I will have to wait until the correct one comes in on Friday.

Next I went to my first house ... someone else was mowing it? Knocked on the door and asked the old lady what was going on. She stated that her old lawn care company contacted her and advised that she had WON :cool2: a free lawn cutting. Was not sure how to handle it ... so I left. I will probably bill her anyway, but I hate to lose her. Yard is a good money maker. Now that I think of it ... it is a good marketing tool ... I guess ... will be calling the other company later to yell a lot.

Next two yards went ok ... good cooling down time.

Lunch yard was at Grandma's ... I cut the grass, she fixes lunch and we visit for a few minutes. This is a free yard, cause it is Grand Ma's and my mother would kill me if I charged. Anyway ... I hit a root in the yard that I have driven over 6000 since I was 8 years old. It catches the blade ... bends it, the blade bar and messes up the shaft. I push the rest of it with a 21 and take lunch with me.

Now I am back were I started, Mower Shop ... 1 1/2 hours later I am fixed and my wallet is a lot lighter.

Next yard ... is ok. As I leave I run over the curb and think nothing of it. Find out at the next yard that I forgot to strap down the gas can that I filled up at the end of yesterday. $15 worth of gas gone.

I give up and go home. Now I am behind for tomorrow ....

It can only get better.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh no, don't say that last time I spoke those words, I quickly found out that it really can get worse. But i'm sure tomorrow will be a better day.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I said that last week when I ran into a gas sign at the gas station and busted it all up...

Figured I'd go to bed, get up, and everything would be okay....

First thing I did the next morning... promptly blow the back window out on a new Chrysler Pacifica with a rock from the trimmer.

See what you have to look forward to???
  4. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

hey nothings worse then having a bad day and then hitting a pile of dog $h!t with the trimmer that must have come from a Great Dane or something. .....what a mess!:dizzy:
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Someone's not looking out for you. Ins or out of pocket? ouch either way. Good Luck!!!
  6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: I'm so glad I'm not the only one that happened to. I started a new account last week and it was overgrown. I started trimming, got around the mailbox and bam, flying dog sh!t. Didn't realize it at first until I saw brown specs all over the front of my shirt, and then the spell set in! Oh my goodness! Luckily I carry a couple extra shirts in the truck with me. What a mess!!
  7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

don't feel too bad, today my cousin lost a $600.00 set of hedge trimmers off the trailer, the guy behind him flagged him down, but guy in the car behind the good samaritan stole them before he could get back. then later this morning, he jacknifed the trailer causing $1100.00 damage to his truck. i told him that there was NO WAY i was going to try to top his daily bad luck/stupidity expense. (the hedge trimmer wasn't latched down)
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I was at my second house, big yard, cut the front the catcher fill up so i shut down the blades and drove to the back yard with the catcher still on the side of the machine....now this place is built into a hill the back yard is steep and we only cut half of it then there is a swath of low weeds and a boulder wall that drops off about 3-4'. Well stupid me instead of parking the mower on the level ground and walking the catcher down the hill to dump, I drove the mower down onto the steep slope and parked it took the catcher off and the front end swung around and took off down the hill toward that drop off! I quickly grabbed the pistol gribs and worked for a few minutes on driving it angeled up the hill, no luck wheels were spinnin and it was getting closer to the hill. I didnt know what to do, and now the mower is at the edge of that drop off, long story short, I called a buddy and we were able to put the mower in gear and push/guide it back up to the top of the hill. That just about ruined my day ha.

9. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Man you had a bad week. Hate to hear about the window. I bet your insurance guy hates to hear it too.

10. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I can add to pitty party starting last week.

Wensday, Worker calls in sick.

Thursday, rained out, but didn't here from worker.

Friday ready to hit ground running to catch up, still no worker. Luckily anticipated this for today so got a temperary guy. (not temp agency, college kid), anyway he is trimming at an office building and throws a rock through a full glass door......$295

Monday, Me and two guys on a 54 home account. Different new guy today, he has experience and is great, we are rocking and rolling. About 3 hours ahead of normal around 4:00 pm. Well I am trying to get as close to the pond as I can to save more time for the next day, but we had a lot of rain and the slope is 35-40 degrees, yeh way to steep. Get my 2000 pound diesel mower stuck, it slides down into the muddy bank of the pond. So what do I do, of course I go unhook my 3/4 dodge 4x4 from the trailer and drive down to pull it out. No luck and stuck the truck. A couple hours and $125 later the truck is out, but the wrecker can't get a good enough angle to pull the mower out.....$125

Today (tuesday), Have bobcat pull out mower......$100
    and now a lot of ruts from the truck, mower and bobcat to fix when dry enough.