Wow! Strange request for my services.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Sep 14, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's ripe for pickin....

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost done, just add swamp water, humidity and heat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Won't the gators and nutrea just eat them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

We will be picking up dead gators,hogs,deer whatever animal remains we come across.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

seems like that would be a good tv show....dead animal hunting.....would give the turtleman a run for his money.

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I've done this before though it was on ranch land removing dead cows from thick woods. I think I removed 7 in one day. Had to cut my way into some places, get the animals pulled out with the Bobcat and loaded on a trailer where I had to then unload them at another location for burning.

It's nasty work. Your machines, if they are cab and air, will smell awful for weeks. Ditto for the trailers and attachments. The animals I was tasked with removing had only been dead 6 days and though it was summer, the carcasses still had sufficient strength to hold together while moving around though anything and everything dripped or fell out of vulture holes.

I would charge your normal daily rate plus 50% premium just for the disease and disgust factor. If you normally charge 90 per hour, I'd look at 130-140/hr. $1200 a day isn't unreasonable for the risk of sinking a machine or getting sick.

As for rentals, sunbelt isn't going to want their machines in the muck and stench.. possibly looking at big cleaning bill plus the operator is being paid for the expertise of knowing the area and risk of sinking a machine where it might still be flooded.
    If they don't want to pay, let someone else take the risk. You probably don't need the practice. It is a cool sounding job if you can handle the disgusting part. I have moved a lot of dead (human) bodies over the years and was prepared for the smells. Even with cab and air, I had to hold my breath a few times but I have to say it was pretty cool to do the recovery.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=277789

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

FeBreeze will make your machines and clothing smell better. If all else fails, grab a portable ozone generator and park the machine inside a shipping container and let it sit over night with the generator on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks fellas. I was in the ballpark range of $2500/day for truck,dump trailer, skid and tractor.includes 2 equipment operators, truck/dump trailer driver, groundman. And for me i was thinking in the $350-450 range
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

You are cutting your me rate short IMHO.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Lord, I'd skip this job offer.