Wow! Strange request for my services.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Sep 14, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I just cant see charging someone $100hr for me to help/supervise. Hows my rate for the equipment? It may include another truck for hauling the skid/tractor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I do not know enough about your equipment to say but I would price the rates the rental places have and that would be my target. I would would ask for the full boat rental too, Insurance and all! Consider fuel too.

You and I both know supervise means manage. :waving:

Lets say you want to make $50.00 for your time. That is $500.00 based on a 10 hour day and it could be closer to 12 hours.

Then you have your taxes, you have your insurance and you have to account for vacation time too. You betcha... if you bid a Gov job they ask you to break out labor, insurance, payroll and benifits. I would say a minimum of 45% and if you were going through a staffing agency they would put on 65%~ 69% markup to cover labor burden and profit.

Lets say you are going to pay your help 1.5 times their regular pay for hazardous duty. You better plan on a 10 hour safety training course too.

Lets say your guys are going to make $20.00 for doing this job. ( look up the DOL pay rate and union pay rates as this is a GOV job. ) then add 65%.

I will see if I can find you some labor rates.... BRB

3. ToddH

4. ToddH

5. KrayzKajun

Glad im not working for the Govt. this is a wildlife recovery company , who is realizing they are under equipped for the task at hand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ToddH

So taking the mean wage which is not an average wage but the middle wage in all wages reported at 45.85. In LA it is 37.27.
    I still think 45.85 is a starting place.

Hazard pay 55.00 plus burden @ 30% = 71.5
    Then your markup 30% = 92.95 per hour for you.
    $950 for a daily rate.

Do the same for your workers. Keep in mind you will have to pay them what you quote too but they should make extra money on this kind of a job.

and this looks to be 18.74 in LA or 23.61 national mean wages.

7. ToddH

I assure you they are contracting with FEMA and the rules apply. :drinkup:

8. ToddH

Pretty much have to lock the eq in a closed container and use some Ozone. You have to worry about the Ozone destroying wiring and oxidizing stuff.
    Maybe about 3 to 4 hours of ozone will kill the smell and not harm the equipment.

Which leads to buying hard hats, gloves, boots and coveralls and such which likely need to be cleaned and disposed of later.

9. KrayzKajun

Well about to submit my rates. Guess we shall see how it goes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ToddH

Good luck! Hope you get it but make it worth it!