wow, that makes two

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lsu03, May 8, 2007.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

now that i have planned a lot of my stuff out, my 14 year old freshman brother is interested in mowing grass now. he is busy throughout the year w/ sports, but says he'll mow on weekends. i dont know if i have already described my neighborhood but it has about 20 1/2 acre houses and the same amount of 1-2 acre properties. there is an LCO who lives on the other side of the neighborhood so my mom doesnt want to mess up his living. this lco mows two yards in the hood. my brother wanted some advise from me and i said i'd ask the guys at lawnsite.

main questions---
    1. could he be alright with a residential ztr(50") or maybe even a 21"? he doesnt want to spend a whole lot.
    2. about what should he charge if his only costs would be mower, handhelds, and gas?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1. Why not start out by using the customer's equipment?
    2. 20 dollars and up.

That's how I used to do it 24-some years ago, great money.

3. lsu03

if he needs i guess he can borrow my dads blower trimmer and kubota 42" lawn tractor w/ 2390 hrs on it. it still runs:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

A residential ZTR will probably last for the first season, then next year he'll have to buy another ZTR ... it's up to you all, however, I personally would go with a commercial machine.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if he doesnt know how to run mowers and i assume your not insured i wouldn't...he hits something, you're left with the bill...when i was 12-16years old cutting grass i had a neihborhood kid that wanted to help me..aside from the fact i didn't want to pay him my money (i wanted to make it all myself) i couldnt trust him to do it the way that i wanted..i let him help me on a small leaf job..i ended up having to follw him around because not only was my customer the superintendent of my school district but he was also a "long time customer"...well i let this kid collect the payment one week as i was on vacation and i get back and he gives me my share all in QUARTERS!!! and that was the last time i let him help me

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Topsie, you should know better than to suggest something like this.

If the mower breaks, who's gonna get blamed? Then you're stuck buying the customer a new mower...

Yeah, that was 24 years ago.

20 bucks is lowballer territory, I don't care if it's 5K square feet.

7. lsu03

hes good w/ a mower and equipment. been around farm equipment and mowers his whole life. like me:)

8. lsu03

thanks for the replies so far

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Why are you dropping several thousand on equipment before you even have a customer?

Buy a 21 inch and work your way up.

or buy it used.

10. lsu03

it's my little bro PATRIOT. he is just worried about mowing 1/2-2 acres w/ a 21". i said the same thing. one of our family friends is already interested. the man works 7/7 so my little bro is going to ask to mow his weeks when he's at work so his wife doesnt have too.