1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wow, that's alot of money. can u just show us how?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 25, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if u quote a customer a price, and they think it's too expensive, and they ask you to "just show me how, i'll do it myself", do u tell them?
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

nope, some of my techniques are secrets and if i tell them how to do it, then im going to charge them the original price of the job, or just walk away.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I usualy don't hang around long enough for that question.

No show and tell here.......
  4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

No. I would explain that when we do the work they are getting a professional service just like an electrician, plumber or doctor and that our knowledge and expertise are part of what we charge for, not just our time.
  5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Had a new grounds manager come on to a board of directors for a service district that has asked several times for advice on areas I used to contract out. She cancelled the contracts upon renewal and said she wanted to save some money for the year. Now when she asks me to show her something I show her a bill or what I look like walking away. They want advice, they pay or get nothing.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i made that mistake once cust asked me how i was going to do the job and i told them 2 weeks later i happend to drive by and the homeowner was doing the job just like i told them that was the last time i gave out info for free
  7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Does Grandma give out the family secret receipe for pumpkin pie? Been burned too many times now there's a charge for all plans!!
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing I would tell them is you need about 30K in high end commercial equipment, an education ,and about 5-6K in insurance premiums to match.Then I would show them what my @zz looks like walking down the driveway to get in my truck. I never kiss and tell without getting paid.Call me a landscape *****, I guess.payup There's no such thing as "free" advice:D
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I get that same BS when blowing out sprinkler systems. " Oh, I don't wnat to spend $55 . But could you tell me how to do it myself." Get real. The service industry sucks sometimes. But you know, retail jail has it's problems too.
  10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya for $50.