Wow thats expensive !

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by Bunton Guy, Nov 23, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

Skip the home depot spots. Try local welding/fabricating shops. If you need a size and type they generally use you should get decent prices. sometimes for decent customers and they only need a small piece, if we have a drop thats big enough they dont even get charged.

Happy hunting.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

this is a little off topic but for you guys in delaware and close by in PA and other neighboring states, does anyone know of any good steel supply companys? bob i didnt know home depot carried steel???? i am looking to get some expanded metal and other smaller misc. pieces.

3. stslawncare
    home depot has metal products in their hardware isle around the nuts & bolts.
    Very expensive to buy there but handy for emergency repairs.

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Many times the scrap or salvage yards sell surplus metal as well. If not salvage yards will likely know where there is a good source

Doug Austreim

5. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

Bunton Guy, Im in greenville,SC give this guy a call

Jerry At specialty Steel
    864-299-8771

If he's too far from you he will know someone in your area that can help you.
    I buy steel from him.

1 1/ 2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 x 20' 13.25 Ea
    2"X2" x 24' Tube 3/16 Wall 40.00
    4x10' Sheet metal 16 Gage 42.05
    1X1X1/8x20' Angle 6.26 Ea

Forget the welding shops there Addind 25% to the sale price

6. u have got to get out of the city to find cheap steel and don`t be afraid to use salvaged stuff. I`ve been pretty lucky my dad used to own a welding shop and knows all the guys around. now he is a milright at a local saltmine and they just through extra steel out in the dumpster so he get most of what ever he needs from the dumpster . he finished a project this spring installing an elevator that come from sweden and they through out 20 peices of 6 foot by 6inch galvanized so when I built my 6x10 landscape trailer this spring I used that as sides. and a freind of my dads works at a kubota dealership , he got me a bunch of frames that they use to ship tractors from japan. I cut 2 of those up and used them as my trailer frame.

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

old bed frames are a good source for angle. I found a stack of real estate signs that I still use to this day. Good amount of small angle and I put the sheetmetal underneath my chopsaw to prevent a fire.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yeah, I picked up some used bed frames for some light stuff. I get my metal from a surplus store. If I really want to go cheap I can get the rusted stuff and clean up myslef. The good stuff goes for about $1 ft for 2 X 2 angle, but about half that for the rusted stuff. All ya have to do is take a wire wheel to it. Just depends on how valuable your time is.

MATT

9. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

2x2 square 14 gauge here in Fayetteville is about $32 for 20' and 3/4 expanded is $30 I think, the 1 1/2 expanded is even cheaper.:confused: