Wow! Was I Surprised.

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Dec 21, 2000.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2000 3/4 ton Chev. (old style) 4wd auto 350. 7.5 Meyer st. The other day a friend of mine said he had an important appt. and asked if I would plow a new lot for him. He said to use his truck (2000 ford 250 V10 gas). Man did this rock! I don't know much about trucks (lawnmowers yes - trucks no), but I think that truck would move a mountain. He has an 8ft Meyer on his and when I lifted the plow the front didn't dive an inch. On my Chev. I can feel it dive a little. I also had 40 80lb. bags of salt in the bed along with what looked like a pretty heavy spreader air-flo MSS.

For you guys that know trucks - waz sup? I didn't have a chance to ask my friend about the truck yet, but the truck is a 3/4 same as mine. Is this truck the same price as mine? If it is I think I got the short end of the stick.

I'm ready to trade my new truck in on a new Ford. Someone please help me. give me a little bad news about his truck and some good new about mine! lol

2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Well, the answer to why the other guy's truck was so much better was simple: It's a Ford!

Seriously...I don't know. I just couldn't resist a Chevy bash.

What you and I just said is gonna start a huge brand war. I can see it coming. Personally, I don't think that either the Ford or the Chevy, or the Dodge is the best truck. They are all good. Buy what brand you like.

Eric

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The truck had 3200 lbs of salt in the back and a V10-i sure hope it outpushes your chevy.Hoestly my empty Dodge/ Cummins diesel would outpush my 89 GMC 350 3/4 ton,even when the 1 yd V-box was full,and the dodge empty,The Dodge rocks too,and will turn a tighter circle in a parking lot.The GMC would weigh over 9000 lbs-the dodge about 7500,same tires,same size,I cat explain it either.I do know to compare that Ford properly,to the GM,you need a 2500HD,vortec 8100 V8,allsion 5 speed auto tranny,I can assure you that the chevy will rock that ford any day anywhere.The front end of the Ford will always sag less though,solid axle,it will always ride harder and it does cost quite a bit more than your chevy-and you get what you pay for.I bet your chevy will be running strong 10 yrs from now,and maybe the ford will,maybe it wont.

4. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Alright John - thanx. Feel'n a little better. Even better when I asked him what he paid - 31K including plow. I only paid about 25 for mine w/plow.

BTW, that spreader worked very well but the smallest opening was even too much.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You were effectively comparing a two year old design truck (the ford) with a 13-year old design truck (the chebby). Im happy the "newer" truck was the one that impressed. Now you see why the old-style GM trucks are less expensive...

6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

When you compare you need to have equally set up trucks. I have a 99 Chevy 1 ton, K3500, single rear wheels. I personally knew exactlly what I wanted, looked till I found it: 4:10 rear end, locking
    Auto Trans
    9' Fisher Plow
    This truck kicks a$$ when it comes to snow, only problem I had last year was keeping stock tires on the ground. I neglected to orderthe tires I would normally run, Have them now, problem solved. I plowed right along side a friend that has a F250 SD, with Powerstroke, now problems. Actuallt he said (strong ford supporter) that my truck turns much quicker. I have had a Ford,as well as another Chevy, it's all who sets up the truck, and personal preference, and $.
    I was just looking a a new Ford truck last couple days, only because fiances car had problems '95 with only 55,000 mi.
    Ford wanted to give us $3000 to by another Ford product, we had car fixed and will be shopping before we can decide. We weren't planning on buying new truck now, not with our wedding at the end of Febuary.
    As I said before it's all in who sets up the truck, personal preference, and most importantly to me DEALER SUPPORT.

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

This is the most important thing to consider in a plow truck engine. The Ford V10 has lots. My GMC 98 454, and my Dodge
    V10 both have around 450 FT LB, nice smooth pushing power.
    That's why diesels are nice they make goobs of torque at low rpm. I been staying with gas because I can't justify the extra cost of a diesel, also I think it's a rip-off from the manufacturers, the cost of producing a diesel engine verus a gas is miniminal compared to what they charge for them. My plow trucks only see about 15,000 miles per year and are traded at 60.000-80,000.

Bill

8. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

To use the style of JA in the Hiniker post, I submit the following:

Weight + Traction + Torque = Mountain Moving Ability

Remove or deminish one, and the result lessens.

I was told in grad school by a prof that the more sophisticated a system becomes, the more readily it may be quantified in mathematical terms.

Therefore, it appears we are moving this forum to a new, higher level! Party on, Garth.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

For what it worth on the diesel engines. Both Ford and Dodge lose money installing those engines in the trucks. Ford cost on the the PS is 6500 and they only charge 4700 for the option. Dodge is about the same difference. On the HD series GM, they have to make up the cost of designing this new engine, so they are charging the heck out of the duramax. GM went with their own design to keep costs in line, we will have to see what happens.
    Dino

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

For what it worth on the diesel engines. Both Ford and Dodge lose money installing those engines in the trucks. Ford cost on the the PS is 6500 and they only charge 4700 for the option. Dodge is about the same difference. On the HD series GM, they have to make up the cost of designing this new engine, so they are charging the heck out of the duramax. GM went with their own design to keep costs in line, we will have to see what happens.
    Dino

Dino, you may be right on that. However I have a hard time thinking that Ford would take a lose on anything. If they were taking a $ 1800.00 dollar loss on every PSD, thats a lot of money lost every year. I know they can make the money up in other ways, but It doesn't sound like a logical biz plan.

I can understand you and I paying 6500 for a new engine from International. However I think for must have some volume discounts on the engines from International. I could understand them selling the PSD for a 100 dollars over cost, but I just can't see Ford taking a loss on the PSD or selling it at cost. I don't think any of us will ever know the truth on the matter because, I am suse Ford has their cost figures on the PSD locked up tightern than Fort Knox. Just my IMO.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 12-24-2000 at 05:27 PM]