1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WOW!!! Water rates are out of reason.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mountain Gardener, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Mountain Gardener

Mountain Gardener LawnSite Member

We hydromulch (hydroseed) and go into a number of smaller towns and water districts. We hook to fire hydrants with our equipment or theirs. We have always had a very good relationship with most of them. We were checking rates and other fees to be sure we were OK.

It seems some of the smaller towns and districts now view companies such as ours a revenue source to screw. We were quoted $105.00 for meter hookup and up to 4000 gal water. $15.00 per 1000 after 4000. Another told us that we were not allowed to enter their district loaded with water. They wanted $110.00 for meter and first 2000 gal of water. No, These are not deposits!!! Water, meter fee, and deposit must be paid up front. These same two were about $4.00 per thousand last year. We would pick up the meter, connect, and return it at no charge.

There have been some increases of water prices recently, and most of the smaller water districts passed that along with no other changes.

Have any of you run into this and if so how did you deal with it.
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Around here they pump it out of local ponds and rivers.
  3. Mountain Gardener

Mountain Gardener LawnSite Member

I thought about that about 20 years ago. For reasons you may not understand, not usually possible in this area.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Be glad you can even get a meter, our city does not give them out, not even with a deposit!
  5. mregan

mregan LawnSite Member

I have 24 yrs w/ reynoldsburg water dept. Righ now I am the Assistant Super. As of right now we only charge $5.50 a 1000 gal. and no fee for meter. I don't forsee us changing much in the future, but we are looking @ a central location for fill ups because of backflow concerns. epa regs. stipulate we are to require a air gap device for seperation between your hose and our water supply. That maybe part of the reason for changes you are seeing. I imagine some cities will disallow this practice for good for liability & regulatory reasons.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A backflow preventer for a hydrant meter is a good idea. I also think hydrants should have backflow preventers also since we live in a day and age with terrorists running around. Nothing would be easier then hooking a pressure washer up to a hydrant and injecting a toxic substance. As long as the pressure outside is higher than the hydrant pressure this would be very easy to accomplish and could really effect alot of people.
  7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

What? Accross the board municipalities raising fees, taxes, and any other form of "revenue" they can get their hands on to compensate for the bottomless money pit that we call the public sector. No never seen that before :laugh:

I need to go down to the water dept on Monday to get a meter...I wonder how I'll make out with that.
  8. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

we pump out of rivers and streams when we can, but we do pull off hydrants with a meter when needed. Who the hell do they think they are to tell you, you cant come into their district loaded with water? How is that legal? Id say screw them, drive outside of the district, load up with water, and drive back in if they are being like that.
  9. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

First, I would ask them what law or code you are violating by bringing water into their district! If the still give you a hard time, then ask them if they can provide de-chlorinated water, because it's required by the mix (chemical or biological) that you have onboard.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic