Wow what a difference an impact wrench makes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Jun 23, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have never used a impact wrench for removing and reinstalling blades until today. I am kicking myself square in the ass for having not had one when I owned my business. All those years of getting under the #$$%% deck, trying to wedge the ##$%$% block into place to stop the ##$$$ blade with my #$$# bad shoulder, then trying to position myself to get enough #$$%#$ leverage to remove the #$%$$ blade, then repeating the #$$## process to reinstall it, then again repeating the whole #$#@#$# process again for all the other #$@## mowers. Oh man how I hated the inner blades.

Using it today was just incredible. So easy so fast. I would say it would have saved me at least 10 to 15 minutes a mower had I had it when I was doing it on a regular basis.

After reading suggestions on here to use one I asked for a impact wrench for my birthday - which happens to be today. I just asked for a cheapo from Harbor Freight. This is what I got http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96448 from my parents. I asked for the cheaper model you have to plug into a outlet, but my dad went and got me the nice cordless model. The only thing I am worried about is the quality and life of the battery. Im to old to get birthday presents but I cant convince my parents other wise lol.

If I was still cutting grass day in and day out I would spend the $$$$ in a heart beat and get a high quality one like a DeWalt brand. So if you cant make up your mind whether to get one or not - my suggestion is spend the money its worth every penny.

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats to you and happy B-day! One thing I would recommend though is to get them barely snug with the impact, then use your torque wrench to tighten them down to your manufacturer's recommended setting. You don't want to over tighten, it will lead to potential issues down the road. Just some advice IMHO.

again, happy birthday!:waving:

3. greenred

from IL

thank you and thanks for the advice.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

That link doesnt work.

Anyway I agree. This will be our 3rd year with our harbor freight cordless impact. So far so good with it. The charger charges the battery in an hour or less and it has plenty of power to zip off blades. Now all I need is a jungle jack and it will take me less than 3 minutes per mower to swap blades. As it is right now it takes me about 5 minutes.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a snap on cordless impact that I split the cost of with my parents. It cost $500 though. :cry: I have to say even if I was paying for the whole thing my self I would buy another in a heart beat. I have not come across a bolt it will not break off and because it is cordless it is nice for quick field repairs. Good luck with yours.

6. they are the best thing since sliced bread, forget the torque wrench, just tighten them down.

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i have multiple settings on my pneumatic impact driver, so i usually leave it on the lowest setting, i finger tighten the bolt till its seated then give it a couple taps with the driver to tighten them up.

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

an excellent idea,even for your rims.most good tire companies use them.i cannot believe you are in busines so long and didnt have one.what did you change tires with?besides all that,happy birthday.

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Dewalt cordless impact. We have used ours for 3 years now and change blades everyday. The next one I get will be a 1/2 drive model. The adapters keep breaking.

10. greenred

from IL

Thanks all for the wishes for a happy birthday.

Apparently the link is not working. If anyone out there is interested in what I got go to http://www.harborfreight.com and search in the item number search box for item number 96448-0VGA.