Wow! What a difference!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Oct 29, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Tried something new today. After reading so many posts on doubles I rigged something for my Snapper 36 ". I put high lift blades on the bottom and Gators on top. On most of my lawns today it almost looked like I was running a bagger! The difference was incredible. The only down side was the amount of dust it generated. Had to constantly blow off the build up. That's a small price to pay. Did put a strain on the belts engageing the blades and the engine was noticeably strained, but not so I could'nt do the job.

I'm sold- I will always use doubles!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You have been a member since April and just now tried doubles? ;)

Just giving you a hard time. They do make a difference for some of us. :)
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Double what? Do we have any threads on that topic? humm...

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Had too many other things to learn. Jumped into this with very little experience and no natural mechanical ability! My dealer told me I could not run doubles on my system. Beleived him untill I read somebody was doing it on a Snapper 36"- took the plunge and happay I did.

5. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

Way to prove your dealer wrong, glad they worked for ya.

Eric ELM: You have been a member since April and just now tried doubles?

Should'nt he be kicked off of here for the delay? J/K!
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

after a period of 2 wks running single gators ,i went to leaf setup . mulchers and gators on top. guess what i noticed most.
    the blades could be engaged at lower rpm than w singleswithout stalling motor. my only explanation is thet the 4 blades create a better balance .what ever ,im not makin this up
    tho some i suspect will think that. it was a surprize to me,but the difference was significant. later now
  7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Since getting my new 52"SD deck for my Walker I will always run the double blade set-up. Walker's mulching blade goes on the top and the high lift on the bottom. I can cut grass that is 8" in length down to 3" with only 1 pass and it looks as if I bagged it. So far leaves have been CHEWED to DUST. IMHO doubles are the only way to FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck with your Snapper Combo.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sheppard i have been running doubles on my 52" Snapper Walkbehind now for over two yrs, it cut great before i cut with the doubles now it cuts Awesome. Snapper walkbehinds are my favorite hands down. Also run them on my Z-Master 62" also cuts awesome now you need a blade grinder if you don't already have one ive got the RBG 218 thats what Eric uses so i went with that brand and am very pleased with its preformance. I agree with awm when he says the doubles seem to make the mower better balanced,i have no problem engageing my blades and mine don't sound real loud as some members speek of, glad you started up with them now with leaf season youll tell a big difference. Marks Mowing Service
  9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

how much higher do you have to lift deck if you are origiinally cutting at 3-3.5 inches with the one gator blade?
  10. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

When running dbls do you install them one on top of the other or put some space between them, gators always on top, do you sharpen both every day?