WoW--what a machine toro 455

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steveair, May 2, 2000.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>Just got done demoing a brand new 455. I am very impressed. Mowed for about 3 hours and did the work of at least 10 hrs worth on our smaller 355d. They won't even come close to cutting that tall, damp stuff.<p>At 3 inches, the machine was cutting thick, foot tall grass with ease. It moaned a few times, but only had to creep through a few spots before it came back up. <p>Can't believe how maneuvablee it was. Turns better than the smaller 325. <p>Now I just got to convince the office of the numbers for it. I know I'm gonna cringe when the quote arrives.......as they will too.<p>steveair

2. Any machine can cut turf at 3 inches. Today I<br>mowed 16 acres of athletic fields at an 1 1/2<br>inches that was 6 days old on one pass without any visible clippings with a 62&quot; Toro<br>gear drive walkbehind.<p>Not bad for a $2500 lawnmower eh?<p>

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Mr. Stone I am curious<br>1) How tall was the 6 days of growth?<br>2) What type of grass?<br>3) What is the HP rating of this walk behind?<br>BTW I am impressed that you care for your fields some much to cut them with a small machine. All out athletic fields here are bermuda/rye and are cut with reel mowers.<p>

4. getmow wrote:<p>&gt;1) How tall was the 6 days of growth?<br>2) What type of grass?<br>3) What is the HP rating of this walk behind?<br>BTW I am impressed that you care for your fields some much to cut them with a small machine. All out athletic fields here are bermuda/rye and are cut with reel mowers.<p>1. I don't know how tall it was I don't measure. But I control the amount and type<br>of fertilizer.<p>2. Mostly bluegrass with some rye.<p>3. Hp is not a true measure of power.<br>The traction unit I used today has 30 ft lbs of torque.<p>Reel mowers are a maint. nightmare. A 62&quot; <br>machine is just fine for a small 16 acre job.<br>I only have a one year contract so I will not<br>buy some &quot;big&quot; machine that I will have to<br>dump in the future if the school decides not<br>to renew my services for next year.

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,<p>your right, any mower can cut grass down to 3 inches.<p>However, this was the First time we mowed the airfield this year. The grass is thick and tall has hell. Plus, its swampy out there, so it is always moist. Also, we use to use urea on the runway for ice melter about two years ago, and the crap (literally) still is giving residual effect. <p>Our 25 HP Diesel 325d will stall out in the grass, even cutting with the decks raised as high as they will go. I'm not talking about manicured lawns here. The airfield is what it is, a field. Ya, my 36&quot; bobcat will cut tall grass too, but no where near what the 455 did.<p>It seems like a great machine for what we need. Just seeing if anyone else had one or if anyone has any info on it.<p>steveair<p>

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of my buddy's have them and I run them a few times. Very impressive machine. You need to have the right type of accounts to justify ownership of something like that.<p>What about a 580-D on airfields. They're making them in 4WD this year. 16' cut instead of 10.5'.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

How about a Jacobsen Tri-King? I beleive<br>they also used to make a machine a few years<br>back with a 453 Detroit 2 stroke diesel and<br>a 19' cut.Maybe worth looking into.<p>Karl<br>

8. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Thank you for the reply Mr. Stone. I know my Toro WB with 14 hp wouldn't touch the athletic fields here after a weeks growth. That's probably because they fertilize the s%$#@t out of them. I wouldn't by a machine like that either unless there was plenty of work over a few years to justify it.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Sports fields with a wb? Must have plenty of<br>time on your hands.Groundmaster front deck<br>would be more appropriate or Kubota.<p>Karl<br>

10. You silly rabbit Karl!! I don't actually walkbehind my machines. I use a standard toro<br>sit down sulky for the athletic fields this<br>gives me a production rate of 2 1/2 acres per hour.<p>With residential/industrial customers I use a<br>stand on sulky.<p>My 62&quot; WB uses the SAME deck as a 62&quot; groundsmaster thus I get the same quaility<br>of cut without having to cart around a large<br>machine that does not have zero turn ability.<p>My only investment in equipment to perform this job was buying a nearly new 62&quot; deck<br>from turfquip.com for $600.<p>It does not matter how fast your can mow.<br>What matters is how much money you can make per hour.<p>A contractor can have all the newest and fastest equipment money can buy but that means squat if he does not have the salesmanship ability to sell the job at a<br>very profitable price.<p>Karl if you want to make some real money I suggest you hook up with a guy like myself that can purchase salvage lawn equipment<br>pack a 20ft container and send it to you down<br>under. You can make a fortune on the junk<br>we throw away in the USA.