WOW! What Some People Pay For!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CraigPLC, Sep 5, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Same thing I was thinking. I also agree with the others about ethics, you don't mess with another man's livelihood no matter how shoddy you think their work is. If I were your competitor and found out about this thread you'd be getting a less than pleasant letter from my lawyer.........

2. rootytalbot

rootytalbot LawnSite Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your work.

Take that other yard from him and mow it like its on fire- apparently the owner don't care.

Then you will have side by side lawns to mow. One with stripes and one with scuffs. And twice the money in your pocket when you drive out of there.

3. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

This is my smallest lot, well... second smallest. I have one property that has a Mini-Mansion sitting on a postage stamp lot, so there is only 15' x 80' front yard, 20' x 80' in the back. The rest is all house on 80' x 125' lot. I charge him $30 too.

The grass is the same on both properties, same condition, same type. And just for reference. I am a one man show, my labor rate is only $65 an hour, and I do that lot in 20-25-minutes (cut, trim, edge, blow). He was done in 10, and is also a 1-man show.

4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are mobil home lots?

5. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

Yep, 45 x 100 lots around here. Some are 80 x 110.

6. Nredo

Nredo LawnSite Member

What would the letter be about ?

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I thought it was pretty obvious the comments were defamatory in nature, but maybe it's just me

8. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

It is a waste of time to concern yourself with what other lawn care guys are doing or what they are charging. I have seen on LS many times since I joined a few months ago people talk about this $1 a minute rate. If thats the case then all these 20 min jobs we have that we are charging 30+ dollars for we should lower the price right? NO!!! My neck of the woods aint no different than anywhere else. These so called low ballers most of the time are no different than you and me. They are out trying to make ends meets and put food on the table and a little change in their pocket. I have accounts that I know I should be charging more but they are beside other accounts that I already had but regardless, you can't make any money sittin at the house.

9. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

LOL! That's true. You cannot make money sitting in the house. And Trust me, if I could charge $100 for a 10,000-sq lot I would. Actually, around here I am considered expensive. I have lost customers because I charge too much. lol. My labor rate is $65 an hour, and once I sit down this year and analyze the costs, I will probably be making chump change on cutting grass. But cutting grass opens the door to where I know I am cleaning up, and that is lawn restoration, tree and bush trimming & shaping, power washing, designing and installing landscape beds, retention walls, water features, and paver sidewalks and driveways. It only takes one good project a month to keep the wife smiling. So when I get two or three, she's walks around doing the happy dance, and for me, that's what it is all about. Keeping my girl happy and smiling.

10. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

PLC, my quote was not directed at you just giving my opinion.