Wow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, Aug 8, 2007.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Check out this PDF from the University of Nebraska website.

It is about selecting a lawncare company for your home.

Note that they say the averave cost for lawncare should be $250 - $350 per year. It does not mention anything about lot size, or any other variables.

That would be under $10 per week for weekly service in my area.

HERE IS THE KICKER, this price is supposed to include mowing, areating, overseeding, and fertilizing and weed control

In my opinion the person that wrote this article is very irrisponsible, and did not do his or her homework ahead of time.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1617/build/g1617.pdf

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't read the article but will take your word on it, I guess that is what a college education will get you,:hammerhead:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Send them an email and invite them here to Lawnsite. They may be suprised to see what it really costs to service lawns.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just glad I'm not mowing yards in Nebraska! I don't overseed, fertilize, or aerate, and with my $30 minimum, I suppose I'd just be SOL as far as business goes. :)

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Heck yeah! Just a 100 of those babies and I can rake in 25 large a year.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's take that dumba$$ out who wrote the article and put him to work for a week. I'd bet he would add a zero or so to his "educated estimate".

7. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

That's what you get when you throw education at a dumbass.

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They are referring to a fertilizer and pesticide application done about 4 times per year.....I think. It is kind of unclear about it, but that is what I think they are trying to say.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The article is sort of vague in specifying what should be included for that price. One section of the article states that the homeowner is responsible for mowing and irrigation and the LCO for the chemical program.

In any case, even the high number isn't going to get you a year's worth of anything. And to think that the author works for the extension.... Sheesh.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Ah, Grits posted the same time as myself...

I am thinking that is what they are specifying with that price.