Wow!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jun 30, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am a BIG Lesco fan...so this isn't a bash on them at all. Just a fact that we are all going to continue riding the fert train up the hill.

I walked into my Lesco store today and was picking up grub control and seed and thought I would fill the rest of my trailer with 30-0-10 before the July 1 increase.

Once I got there they told me the prices had already gone up. I asked them how much...and when they told me and I about hit the floor.

The 30-0-10 went up $6.00 a bag. Of course I threw my little temper tantrum (as I really was pissed off) so he called his boss and honored the price. I called back today before they closed and ordered a bunch more.

I was really upset with them, but glad that they honored there quote since it was supposed to be good until July 1.

I think it is going to be getting real ugly as fert continue to increase. Hope nobody was waiting to buy cheap fert. I think it will get much worse before it gets better!

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

rcreech, we do grub and nematode control for $0.68 per 1000 treated,

You have great insight and knowledge, lets talk about the alternatives

Have you heard of an enzyme that is toxic to grubs? it basically makes the soil toxic to any grub or nematode that come close to a root. it is produced by the basillus subtillus bacteria a common bacteria in the soil

Apply the trigger and no more grubs or root feeding nematodes, well they are still there just if they come too close, done

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%, like I have said b4, the companies who prepared properly will survive, some companies will start to fall off over the next couple years but that's how life is, it's very similar to the food chain, this needs to happen to keep this business alive, you see it happen every year with the fly by night mower guys and these damn mower companies throwing these mowers at everybody with a station wagon and a trailer for 0% and no money down and luckily most of these cut throat companies who have full time jobs and just abuse the landscape industry are dropping as fast as they come in, I am in no way hoping for failure of any company, it's just I see alot of poor planning in networking with the amount of people I see everyday, and most of it is just not seeing this coming or being ignorant and not believing it could happen and not reading or asking questions or trying to learn how to weather this storm and save thier livelyhood.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We have enough 'cheap' fert to last us until late fall. After that, I'm gunna ask rcreech to ship us a load.:laugh:

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I am up s's creek without a paddle b.c I only have enough to get thru Sept 1.

Here's to something giving besides my bottom line.:wall

6. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

My JDL (LESCO) supplier moved 15 miles further away. Moreover, they don't come down my way very often. Consequently, I've used some locally (state of Wisconsin) produced fert products that have given good results and not had any price increases to date. One of the manufacturers supplies the Menard's chain under private label. I'm going to watch their pricing closely for the month of July to see what happens. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation.

With so many of the farm fields, in the midwest, under water I find it hard to believe that fert prices continue to go up... IMO.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Actually, some of the increase in price yet to come will be from the flooded areas of the midwest, as many will have to apply more fert. because of the amount of rainfall, further putting demand on the already strained market:dizzy:

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Not to mention all the fert that was in storage that went "floating" down the river. Barges are not moving ANY goods including fert.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Some of the many eyes and ears on this thread (I know from experience on this site ) simply don't want to hear stuff like this this, but, more and more, the recent turbulent world pressures on fert commodities are in fact giving YOUR CUSTOMERS all the more reason to look for and find ORGANIC LAWN CARE, from the financial aspect of our (obviously needed) price increases alone !

...and when you factor in the (perceived... :confused:...or not) environmental and global need to be and do everything "green" that is now becoming all-the-rage !

Ladies and gentlemen !
    All I can say is don't be afraid to change with the customer's 'trends' !!!
    Don't be too hard headed or stuck-in your-ways about "sticking to" traditional LC, that you'll fail to diversify...then at some point in time...possibly not have enough work to even QUOTE on, at some point in the future ! :cry:

A solid 3 1/2 months into 2008.... my traditional LCO profits have indeed suffered YTD, mainly because of the almost near-depression situation right now in the Cincy / N. Ky / Dayton region...especially job-wise.

But....:)......... what I've been able to add with both my 100% organic, and organic 'bridge' program, has VASTLY more than made up for it.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Those Who Can Do