Wrapping Crape Myrtles?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by loser135, Dec 5, 2010.

1. loser135

loser135 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Have a high end client with 6 15' Crape Myrtles at front door of their corp HQ they want to wrap. This is my second season so I haven't done a project like this yet. Does anyone have any idea about how many 50' strands per tree? I think I'm going to give them a good pruning before we start and get them back to 10' or so. Any idea about how many man hours to estimate? I've searched forum and elsewhere online for info but anything you guys could offer wold be appreciated.

2. LizzieLandscapes

LizzieLandscapes LawnSite Member

Just guessing here but I would buy 4 strands per tree. That should be more than you'll need. No idea on what to charge for it.
    For a job such as this that involves ladder work, I suggest charging more than your hourly labor charge. Say you charge is 45.00 an hour normally, add 15.00 or 20 on top of that. Or just charge 60 bucks per tree plus materials. It pretty much depends on what it is going to cost you to do the job plus an added profit margin.

3. loser135

loser135 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm talking wrapping trunks, as many limbs as possible. The sales guy told me much more than that. A LOT MORE!!! How about white wire vs. green wire? Deciduous tree, leaves gone. ANy preferences? Thanks!

4. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

If you butcher the tree back to 10ft and wrap the individual limbs and trunks I would figure 12 per tree.......
    cords
    triple taps
    orchard ladder
    lights with green wire
    no more than 1200-1500 lights on a 15 amp breaker

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we charge 25 per 100 lights, if you are tightwrapping use 3-4 inch spacing minis and I would estimate 500-1000 per tree depending on what I estimate when I look at them.

6. loser135

loser135 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Jus ordered 42 75' 200 bulb strands (4.5" spacing). Have extra 50' sets at shop if needed so hope that's enough. Thanks for the input (keep any relevant info coming!) & I'll post pics when finished.

7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

your gonna hate messing with 75' strands! max I go are 50 footers and they're a pain also.

8. loser135

loser135 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Maks sense. I guess we'll just chalk that up at learning experience. Couldn't find any 50' with tighter spacing. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your help.

9. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

id go with the green wire(won't stick out like a sore thumb) and the 12 strands sounds pretty close. as far as what to charge--i charge $2.50 a foot.

10. LizzieLandscapes

LizzieLandscapes LawnSite Member

I didn't consider wrapping the trunks, my bad. A 15' tree isn't that tall so I wouldn't think you would need 12 per tree...that's 600' of lights per tree! So loser I'm glad you bought what you did. Go green wire for sure!