wrapping shrubs with burlap for winter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snowmizer, Oct 11, 2004.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

I have allways wrapped shrubs loosely with burlap to prevent from deer and wind burn as needed. My question is, does it matter if they are wrapped tight or loose and witch way is better?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never wrapped them. If you've got major problems with wind burn every year, chances are you are planting the wrong plant in the wrong spot.

That being said, it's not uncommon around here to spray boxwoods, azaleas and rhododendrons with Wilt Pruf before winter hits. That helps to reduce the "bronzing" affect of the winter wind on the foliage.

If I were to wrap them, I'd use a loosely woven burlap and wrap it loosely. But wrapping really shouldn't be necessary....

3. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

thanks for the response. what would you do for deer? i have 45 hicks in my yard and the deer love to snack on them. any suggestions?
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sometimes it is just a matter of having a certain Species right on the border of a transition zone, and the burlap acts as some additional insurance against cold winters.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

6. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Score 1 point for Coffee.
    Shrub wrapping is actually a misnomer, it should be called " wind screening ". BTW, leave a 6-8" gap between the burlap and ground level or your providing food and lodging for mice, and guess what's on the menu. I always screen Tsuga canadensis under 10' tall, with exposure to winter winds they will literally beat the needles of their branches.
    I would recommend caution when using antitranspirants (Wilt Proof & others). A more accurate term, although less marketable, would be " antirespirants ". Carefully read the specimen label when using antitranspirants and when in doubt use less/lower rate.

I was bidding a retaning wall for a " bowling lawn " last year and the customer would start crying, literally, everytime she would look at her 16' Arborvitie hedge, she didn't seem to think my suggestion of " turning them arround so the green side faces out " was very funny either :D . It turns out they had had a rather unfortunate encounter with an antitranspirant.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but mostly serious: buy a 12 gauge.:D

There's other remedies for keeping off deer, ranging from the 'ole bar soap method to wrapping with netting, to using a commercial spray repellant.

Ken-I won't argue about the transition zone problems. However, if something is "on-the-border" so to speak, I'd try my hardest to either: A)not use it, or B)plant it in a protected location. Of course, you will occasionally have the cold snap in the middle of the winter where it gets 10-15 degrees colder than the average low.... That's why it's an average.:)