Wright mowers and there decks???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gilatplc, Dec 4, 2007.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

So I demoed a wright stander with 48" RH model, I had the company representative with me so I had a ton of questions.
    One was what was the deck depth? he told me that all but the new ZK have a 4"or 4 1\2" depth, This is kinda small don't you think.

When compared to exmark, great dane, john deer they all have a minimum of 5"+ inch deck depth.

So is this deck just desighted better with less steal, or is not up to standers with other manufacers?

If you have one of thees mowers and you cut southern grasses tell me just how good it cuts. Im looking to mulch with mine.

p.s, John G, you where right about the tires being to small, you really have to be careful not to rut, But that mower sher was glued the ground.

2. gilatplc

from FL

no one???
    bump??!!

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My Deere Quik Trak has the 5" deck. My buddies Wright doesnt. My Deere seems to have a nicer cut, handles more grass, and mulches better. They definitely need to do something about those small tires!

4. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have the Wright stander 36 RH. It is the best muching unit I have ever seen. I don't cut southern grass though. I think Wright makes a great product.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Are you shure about 5"s deep?I thought the 7 iron was 6"s deep?

6. John Gamba

from ct

How was the cut?? Do you mulch like most in Florida?? the deeper decks like to mulch better the the shallow ones.

7. gilatplc

from FL

That the thing of it, the day he showed up there wasn't ANY growth on ANY of my account!! I was kinda pissed for he wouldn't let me have the mower for the day or 2 days like I asked. The cut was level and clean but even with dull blades on my exmark I could have done that with such Little growth.

So I mowed two account with it one St Augustine the other was Bahia, Both with barely 1/10 of growth the the grass.

He did offer me to demo agen at another time where he didn't need the mower the next day, I plan on taking him up on that offer. But I figure in the mean time I would do some research.

Yes I do mulch and the demo was set up with a mulching kit.

P.S. The new ZK will have a 6" deck!! the only one with it?? :confused:

8. John Gamba

from ct

I would wait for the ZK. Demo is the only way to see if a mower will work.I think the deere Quick trak has a 6" deep deck also. I think the 7iron is 6" in the rear and 5.5" deep in the front.

The Zk is a BIG stand-on. Be prepared for its size.they want the big z market or the open prop. they are consternating on 60,66,72. they will have a 52" but i dont think it will come with a 37Hp motor.

It does look fast and i think thats how they designed it-----FAST.

9. John Gamba

from ct

I think the ZK will have less weight on the front casters then a sit down would.

Thats has its advantages there. The hill stuff they talk about i'm not sure. i think it depends on the hills you have. sliding across a hill you are cutting is not how you cut.

10. gilatplc

from FL

John clean out your PM,,

I looked at it after I you sent you the first pm. Different video then what I seen originally.

It looks bad ass, But I'm possibly looking for a smaller mower with less weight then what I have now. I'm going to look and see what the weight of the 52 zk is and go from there.